Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Apparently there is no location on the US West Coast that makes the trip long enough for an "official" round the world distance, according to the WSSRC. So I will have to keep Hawaii to port on the way out. Not that I'm complaining, but it's weird how "they" came up with the rules.
    Just wondering ... Is there an optimal place to leave from for your record setting course? Considering speed, distance, safety, etc. Mr Chan left from Qingdao. The French leave from France. Joe Harris left from the East Coast. Is it somewhere up the West Coast? How about leaving from the South hemisphere and going North now that there is a passage (I'm probably showing my ignorance here).

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Here's a free Class 40, if it could be found. Might be a bit waterlogged if still afloat..Last seen in vicinity of Malaysian Air 370 disappearance in Indian Ocean.
    Is Abby's book worth a read? If so in what way?
    Last edited by jamottep; 08-14-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Step #1 is decide exactly what you want to do.

Sail around the world?
    Sail around the world non-stop?
    Sail around the world "really fast", relatively speaking?
    Sail around the world and break some sort of record? What record do you want to break?
    Not necessarily sail around the world but do a very long-distance ocean race, like one of the numerous Atlantic-crossing races?
    Do the Vendee?

You need to pin down a goal, which is what I think you're doing..

However, imagining that someone is going to give you a Class 40 to sail, for free, is a pipe dream. If you want to try your goal in a boat like that, and you don't have the financial resources to afford it, personally, then you have to convince someone else to come up with the money...meaning a corporate sponsorship or two or three.

There are a couple of C 40's in North America, and you *might* be able to charter one for $100K to do a RTW sail. Maybe. It can't hurt to ask the owners, right?

Or you could buy a high performance 39-41 footer that's really built for crewed racing, modify it bigtime, and go. It'll still probably cost you $100K.

Like this: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200.../United-States
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-15-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

To be more specific, something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You know, I'm still of the generation where if you wanted something, you worked for it...earned the money for it yourself, and so on. It's become clear that the world has changed, though I haven't. This is a world of YouTube channels, Patreon accounts, GoFundMe sites and so on. So IN FACT, Philippe, it might be that if you find a cute girlfriend who looks good in a bikini, start up all those things I just mentioned, post weekly sailing videos which prominently feature the bikini, interspersed with "He-Man at Sea" footage, and pitch your proposal hard in just the right way, you might in fact be able to get people to give you enough money to do this. What "just the right way" is, I have no idea.

How to go about this, I have no idea, nor interest. However, if a young couple who know nothing can sink their "forever home and around the world" boat on a Florida sandbar, the third day they're out sailing, and still get people to buy them a whole new boat, pay for disposing of the old one, pay the fines and put something like $20K in their cruising kitty, then there must be something to this brave new world of internet fantasy-marketing.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default where to leave from

It is my understanding that to meet the "requirements" of rounding the planet officially leaving from SF or north of SF. LA is a bit too far south.
    This is why Mr. Stokes is planning to depart from SF.

If you are planning a figure 8 voyage likely it doesn't really matter where the departure point is.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Just wondering ... Is there an optimal place to leave from for your record setting course? Considering speed, distance, safety, etc. Mr Chan left from Qingdao. The French leave from France. Joe Harris left from the East Coast. Is it somewhere up the West Coast? How about leaving from the South hemisphere and going North now that there is a passage (I'm probably showing my ignorance here).

So far ... All avenues I've tried have come up dry :-)

Reading Michel Desjoyeaux' book brings home how much experience he built over the years, including the early years and the folks he learned from. That's true for the sailing and the technical preparation of the boat. How do you make up for that?!?

10,000 hrs. I started competitive sailing in my mid-20s which was very "late" compared to many...... you just have to put in the time. You might look for another Olson 30 or such before seeking a larger boat.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

So starting racing in your late 40's is literally a non-starter?