Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by everydaysailor View Post
    There are 2 Freya 39's for sale in the area.
    Keep the wheels on the bus and complete the course.
    Name:  Freya 1.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  4.1 KB

I second the Freya 39. This historical design ticks a lot of boxes. With fair lines, long waterline, and great stability, a Freya is fast (capable of 200 mile days), stiff and able to carry sail in a breeze, and built like a brick shithouse.

Name:  Freya 3.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  3.1 KB

In addition, it's displacement hull can carry a ton of supplies without hindering performance, has full headroom for a person your height, and is readily adaptable for a windvane, as many have done.

Also, the Freya's underbody, keel and rudder, won't snag detritus, weed, plastic, and nets.

Name:  Freya 2.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  5.7 KB

Recommend giving a Freya a look. http://bluewaterboats.org/freya-39/

Taking note of the recommendation for the Freya 39 and all the good points mentioned above. Seeing the price they go for and the need for complete refit I see little improvement on the budget. It would hold it's resale value better. I don't know about fast though.

First day in Lorient. We looked around the base, quite empty with lots of the boats in the Route du Rhum. Several imoca 60, some Open 50, Class40. Then we got aboard Moon Palace, a Pogo 40S3. Good wind: 15-20 kts! In terms of sailing we did two runs (upwind, downwind), tacked a few times, gybed with no spinnaker, flew the shy assym (which can be reefed), then came back. Lots of lines everywhere, but less than anticipated. There's no jib track, only a floating ring controlled by 3 lines. We used a sock when hoisting but were not able to bring it back down so we dropped the kite on the deck. They tried to fix it; we'll see tomorrow.
    One thing that's interesting is that the boat doesn't fall off when it gets in the no sail zone. It stops and then the big square main keeps the boat there, with the boat going backward.
    With the kite we were averaging >10kts, upwind 7.5-8.5, full main & solent. The boat pounds upwind.
    There are backstays, which are mostly there to tune the mast/main, as the spreaders are angles aft. The boat is in great shape. I haven't helmed yet.
    Because of the big main I learned that most solo racers chicken gybe >35-40kts.
    Learning sailing terms in French takes time. We're 3 on the boat: the skipper and his friend, planning to sail the Transat Jacques Vabre 2019. I plan to sleep on the boat tonight. A little tired ...

Name:  IMG_20181112_134511072.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  3.75 MB

Second day ... Ok conditions, lightening in the afternoon. Things got a little tense today. To keep it short I opened up a clutch holding the gennaker halyard (it was on the winch too) and the halyard cover ripped. It took a while to recover. Today we took out the solent, staysail, gennaker and larger assym, and spoke a lot about trimming, a weak point of mine (one of the many). Skipper is a sailing instructor, but the boat and Class40 is new to him and I am his first "student". Things could be improved, considering I'm apaying customer. There was no safety brief nor any specific instructions on how to handle equipment. I like that we're diving right in though. I did helm today. They're fixing odd jobs as well in the morning. Tired again, especially after sleeping on the boat. I'm very uncertain. I find that I find assurance by practicing and getting in trouble ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Second day ... Things got a little tense today. To keep it short I opened up a clutch holding the gennaker halyard (it was on the winch too) and the halyard cover ripped. It took a while to recover.
    Good lesson for all: on a loaded line, halyard, sheet, reef line, etc, not opening a rope clutch until strain is relieved on the clutch by first taking strain, an inch or two, on a winch.

Well, the halyard had been on both the clutch and the winch. But after a few hours there had been some stretch. That combined with the facts that the clutch is of a quite aggressive type, the lines were technical (cover doesn't slip much on core), and the cover had been stressed in that area for multiple years. Lesson learned = must manage clutches on bigger boats.

Colder today 7-17 kts, series of tacks, then gybes with assym. We got an hourglass, mostly caused by lack of preparation. We moved to La Base. We saw the Ultim of Josse come into port and mini 6.50s going out to train. Several boats are lying dismasted.
    Three more days ...
    On a side note the WSSRC is not very collaborative and is asking for a payment before confirming distance on a course. That's £1715!
    Name:  IMG_20181114_173104460.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  1.28 MB
    Name:  IMG_20181114_153303527_HDR.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  3.08 MB
    Last edited by jamottep; 11-14-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Eye candy?
    Name:  IMG_20181115_094656698_HDR.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  3.20 MB

Broken ...
    Name:  IMG_20181115_094318937_HDR.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  3.42 MB
    Name:  IMG_20181115_095201039_HDR.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  3.71 MB
    Name:  IMG_20181115_094635879_HDR.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  3.58 MB

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Because of the big main I learned that most solo racers chicken gybe >35-40kts.Learning sailing terms in French takes time.
    "Chicken gybe" usually means tacking...But it may mean something else to French soloists, i.e. deep reefing the main (2nd or 3rd reef) before gybing. Tacking any boat in 35 to 40 knots is not always going to happen.

Fourth day.
    Only two of us on the boat, but really half a day. We don't do a lot of evolutions (sail changes). It's a lot of work on a powerful boat like a Pogo 40S3. I put a reef in (10 minutes), rigged the trinquette (staysail?), which was about 30 minutes. We also hoisted the A3 and dropped it.
    I managed to break one more halyard (to my defense it was a very thin line). The trinquette is on a hoek (upper swivel?). Luff tension is applied by pulling the tack down, not the head. Skipper went up the mast, fixed that halyard, took the gennaker halyard down, and we dropped it for repair.
    In the morning I met with Christian Dumard, who was a.o. the router for Joyon's Route du Rhum. We discussed options.
    I came across random boatyard prices. It seems that things are much more affordable here!
    It's been good to learn sailing terms in French.
    Still tired, still sleeping on the boat.
    Last edited by jamottep; 11-16-2018 at 01:01 AM.

He did mean tacking. I thought like you too. I suspect there may be a range where one or the other is used. From my conversations nothing is done last minute. A reef is put in, headsails are changed, etc. long before the heavy weather is due.
    That said this is from one person ...

Two of us today in a thick fog. We started by sailing around a small island, getting a few tacks and one gybe in each, without using the backstays. Then we continued to open sea, still thick fog. I went through several tacks under autopilot. Prepare everything. Ease the active sheet, trim the new sheet by hand, release leeward backstay, grind on windward backstay, trim.
    I put the staysail and am pleased to report that I didn't break that halyard. We did a few more gybes, hoisted the A2, gybed once, dropped it, a few more tacks to go home and call it a day. I'm starting to feel comfortable. Although it is really weird that when a tack goes wrong you really can't stop the boat from staying in irons. It glides sideways or goes backward. It's work to get it going again.
    Last edited by jamottep; 11-16-2018 at 12:20 PM.