Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 319

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Sparrow and I will be departing under the Golden Gate in Nov. 2019.

    Apparently there is no location on the US West Coast that makes the trip long enough for an "official" round the world distance, according to the WSSRC. So I will have to keep Hawaii to port on the way out. Not that I'm complaining, but it's weird how "they" came up with the rules.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Sparrow and I will be departing under the Golden Gate in Nov. 2019.

    Apparently there is no location on the US West Coast that makes the trip long enough for an "official" round the world distance, according to the WSSRC. So I will have to keep Hawaii to port on the way out. Not that I'm complaining, but it's weird how "they" came up with the rules.
    Are you trying to break a speed record?
    P___/)___J
    Solo RTW

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat."
    I'm considering starting a new "interested in a boat" thread :-)
    P___/)___J
    Solo RTW

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Are you trying to break a speed record?
    No no just make it. I will be quite satisfied to make it without stopping. Part of it is there are only a 40 ft or 60 ft vessel records. My boat is 50. Another part is my low budget, so lithium and high tech sails are out.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    No no just make it. I will be quite satisfied to make it without stopping. Part of it is there are only a 40 ft or 60 ft vessel records. My boat is 50. Another part is my low budget, so lithium and high tech sails are out.
    I don't get it. If you claim the record of sailing round the world nonstop in a 50' boat, is that not a record?

    rec·ord
    noun
    ˈrekərd/Submit
    1.
    a thing constituting a piece of evidence about the past, especially an account of an act or occurrence kept in writing or some other permanent form.
    "identification was made through dental records"
    synonyms: account(s), document(s), documentation, data, file(s), dossier(s), evidence, report(s); More

    Wouldn't you then hold the record that others would have to break? It seems to me that a Viking king with a 50' vessel would be an appropriate person to go do this. And surely members of the singlehanded tribe north and south would help support your Go-Fund-A-Singlehanded-Viking effort to some degree. Start early. Smile broadly. From what I have heard, if anybody can do this, it is you.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    It seems to me nonstop, alone, on a limited budget would be very, very, very hard even if you already had a suitable boat. Attempting to set some sort of speed record? add a couple of verys to that IMO.

    As for me, I plan to shoot for the first person to sail the entire SHTP wearing mismatched socks record. The rules are you must wear socks and they must not match, they may be wet or dry. A low res picture of the mismatched socks fitted on the skippers feet must be transmitted to the race committee after each weather download without exception.

    This record will be known as the MSR. I assume a suitable trophy will be established in due course.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 02-16-2018 at 07:37 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    398

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Somehow I think that guy with the cowboy hat of sorts resonates with me ... However far away I'd be, humanity will still be around me everywhere: in the equipment, the knowledge and communication, even just the possibility of it or a weather forecast. One never is alone ... Always my baggage follows close behind faceted by millions of encounters ...
    P___/)___J
    Solo RTW

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Somehow I think that guy with the cowboy hat of sorts resonates with me ... However far away I'd be, humanity will still be around me everywhere: in the equipment, the knowledge and communication, even just the possibility of it or a weather forecast. One never is alone ... Always my baggage follows close behind faceted by millions of encounters ...
    We need a "wisdom" corner on this forum. Somehing like Lattitude 38's but for singlehanders specifically.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    655

    Default

    S**t ... I just realized I misspelled round in the thread title. How do I fix that?
    P___/)___J
    Solo RTW

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •