Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Some recent development: https://pjsails.com/could-this-be-the-one/
    Going to the mecca of solo offshore sailing ...

RTW ... It's not just the course that's much harder than sailing to Hawaii ... It's all the obstacles along the way, which for the most part are heavy to bear. Who likes obstcles?

Well, yesterday evening, I had a feel good moment: it dawned on me that if all was easy, then I would likely fail. I wouldn't have been prepared. It's surmounting all these obstacles that may put me in a position to possibly be lucky and complete this solo westbound RTW, aka SF2SF.

May I encourage anyone remotely interested in what's going on to sign up for my blog? You would join two fellow SSS'ers and my mother. Show some support, just go here; the subscription blog is in the right pane: https://pjsails.com/a-blog-about-sai...und-the-world/
    I hate marketing so rest assured that your email is going nowhere.

For someone who tends to be paralyzed by analysis, the amount of small decisions and big ones, very big ones, is tantalizing. Should I keep the boat in France and sign up for The Transat 2020, starting in May, then truck the boat here? Go out with the ARC in November, then what? Shipping has already been ruled as I would have to sail the boat to Antwerp, ship the craddle there, get the boat ready to go, receive it in San Diego (reverse operation and sail here). Just shipping is $35,000. All in all it might be about 50% of the boat's value!

And no ... I haven't bought the boat yet. The survey is scheduled (including haul out); the surveyor is identified (he's actually doing the FastNet on Kriter VIII, which may bring memories to some folks on this forum).

Last, I wouldn't mind advice on how to minimize tax exposure when buying a boat in the EU. Keep the boat out of the US for a year (how's that process going anyway)? Flag her in Belgium, get a cruising permit?

Name:  5b6b8cf91c7b247c1e8b457e.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  72.8 KB

There is no real way around CA property tax once you get it here that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    There is no real way around CA property tax once you get it here that I'm aware of.
    More concerned about sales tax ...

I think you should spend some time with a good tax CPA who knows California's tax codes or a tax attorney to ask questions about avoiding sales taxes and property taxes. My amateur understanding is they come after you - period. But that's an amateur opining - as are most of the posters on this website - when it comes to complicated tax concerns. Money spent with a pro would, in my opinion, be an investment. Good luck. -- Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post

Should I keep the boat in France and sign up for The Transat 2020, starting in May, then truck the boat here? Go out with the ARC in November, then what? Flag her in Belgium, get a cruising permit?
    Those are all intriguing ideas. I can't find much information on the ARC. So, the Transat would be a race (doesn't look like you'd have much call for that pretty spinnaker), while the ARC would/could be more of a chance to get to know the boat on the way over, is that it? A cruising permit rather than paying for property and sales tax in California? Boy, that sounds sensible. What does Nathalie say? She's been there, done that.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-03-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    More concerned about sales tax ...
    It's actually "use tax" since it's used property. The tax is easy to avoid if you follow the rules to the letter. The CA CDTFA (formerly BOE) will even tell you how to do it. Basically you can't bring the boat into the state for awhile - it used to be six months but now it's a year. Some try to fudge by saying it's in the state for repairs, but that usually gets shot down. Then there's no avoiding property tax once it's here. Maybe if it's owned by a not-for-profit, but that's a whole 'nuther can of worms.

ARC will get you to Saint Lucia. Still a long ways to go:
    https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/arcitinerary.aspx
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-03-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Isn't Whitall Stokes leaving soon for his RTW? His plan was to leave in November 2019. What's up, Ragnar? We'll want to follow you.