Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Go to the first post in the thread, "Edit Post" then "Go Advanced" and you can access the thread's caption.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Go to the first post in the thread, "Edit Post" then "Go Advanced" and you can access the thread's caption.
    Thank you!

Edit: If that's not working then it's an Admin function - let me know and I'll edit it (like I did this one!)
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-17-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Thank you!

Edit: If that's not working then it's an Admin function - let me know and I'll edit it (like I did this one!)
    Wow ... spooky :-)

It didn't work. It allowed me to edit the title of the post but somehow the thread title didn't change ..

Yep, same here. I guess it will take some deeper forum magic than I possess.

Edit: I added an "A" and that did the trick. Weird stuff...
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-17-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Apparently there is no location on the US West Coast that makes the trip long enough for an "official" round the world distance, according to the WSSRC. So I will have to keep Hawaii to port on the way out. Not that I'm complaining, but it's weird how "they" came up with the rules.
    Victoria, British Columbia. Used by Jeanne Socrates and several others for their Recognized Official RTW voyages. And just a darned nice place to live. One day, in the distant future, I hope to do this voyage. (And I imagine that Seattle would be ok too.)
    Last edited by Foolish; 02-19-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I don't get it. If you claim the record of sailing round the world nonstop in a 50' boat, is that not a record?

rec·ord
    noun
    ˈrekərd/Submit
    a thing constituting a piece of evidence about the past, especially an account of an act or occurrence kept in writing or some other permanent form.
    "identification was made through dental records"
    synonyms: account(s), document(s), documentation, data, file(s), dossier(s), evidence, report(s); More

Wouldn't you then hold the record that others would have to break? It seems to me that a Viking king with a 50' vessel would be an appropriate person to go do this. And surely members of the singlehanded tribe north and south would help support your Go-Fund-A-Singlehanded-Viking effort to some degree. Start early. Smile broadly. From what I have heard, if anybody can do this, it is you.

Well, yes I suppose you are right. I might be creating a target for future mariners to shoot at, even if it's slow. While I wouldn't be making any sort of WSSRC record, there are other records. To my knowledge, only three Americans - Dodge Morgan, Bruce Schwab & Rich Wilson - have successfully sailed solo nonstop RTW. I'm aware of some recent attempts by Joe Harris, Stanley Paris, and Abby Sunderland. I'm also aware of Jeffrey Hartjoy who did it but from Ecuador. To my knowledge no one has done it from US soil. Morgan did it out of Bermuda, and Bruce Schwab and Rich Wilson from France in the Vendee Globe. Does anyone know about any others?

Tim Kent, EVerest Horizontal, that was an Open 50 correct ? I thought he made it around in the Vendee ? His boat started life in SF, an Antrim design. Funded by Lucent as I recall for an owner prior to Mr Kent taking over the boat. Or is the record we are discussing one that starts on the US West Coast ?

Would the SSS consider being the sanctioning authority? Minimalist approach ... And see if it attracts other sailors and maybe become the seed for a non stop solo round event from San Francisco, under sail?

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Tim Kent, EVerest Horizontal, that was an Open 50 correct ? I thought he made it around in the Vendee ? His boat started life in SF, an Antrim design. Funded by Lucent as I recall for an owner prior to Mr Kent taking over the boat. Or is the record we are discussing one that starts on the US West Coast ?
    I was talking about a non-stop journey. I think Tim Kent's effort was during the Around Alone which has stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Well, yes I suppose you are right. I might be creating a target for future mariners to shoot at, even if it's slow. While I wouldn't be making any sort of WSSRC record, there are other records. To my knowledge, only three Americans - Dodge Morgan, Bruce Schwab & Rich Wilson - have successfully sailed solo nonstop RTW. I'm aware of some recent attempts by Joe Harris, Stanley Paris, and Abby Sunderland. I'm also aware of Jeffrey Hartjoy who did it but from Ecuador. To my knowledge no one has done it from US soil. Morgan did it out of Bermuda, and Bruce Schwab and Rich Wilson from France in the Vendee Globe. Does anyone know about any others?
    Whilst not complete, there is currently an attempt being made from the east coast. Very low budget

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...0320825186&z=4