Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Are shipping deposits at risk if the boat does make it to port in time?
    My wife is asking the same question ... And I have not broached the subject with the carrier, yet.

I do have another skipper now. He's not going solo and is a professional so I'll have to pay taxes. So my cost doubled up. He's in fact a transatlantic race winner aboard a Class40 2 years ago and last year a Multi-50. But he doesn't want to leave until Friday. The carrier is making its way back from Charleston and should be in Antwerp on 1/18 in the morning: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ssel:STAR_LIMA
    Hopefully this one will stick. Third time's a charm, right?
    Last edited by jamottep; 01-06-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Good day SSSers,
    Most likely Changabang will be delivered in San Diego. I have no idea how things will happen. Most likely:

1. She will be dropped in the water along side the cargo ship;
    2. The cradle will be dropped on the docks.

Now, I can't be everywhere. So I was wondering if we have friendly SSSers in San Diego who'd be interested in helping.

Let me know, please. A personal message here or on my website works: https://pjsails.com/contact-us/

Thanks! I can't wait!

Some good footage here about Phil Sharpe's recent Around the Isle of Wight solo record, 50 miles in 5 hours, 5 minutes on a Class 40...https://www.youtube.com/embed/gtmYe0Xz_lw

Averaging 9.83 knots....mostly in 20-25 knots, reach, beat, reach.

Obiviously a well-sorted boat; notice the cross sheeted jib and gennaker sheets to winches on the windward side of the cockpit. Don't know about the semi-permanent reaching struts extending outboard 2' each side of the foredeck when going upwind in a seaway..Guessing they can be removed if needed?
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-09-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Obiviously a well-sorted boat ...
    You can say that again. The boat is in fact for sale :-)

My older less well sorted out boat is on its way ...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by jamottep; 01-10-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    :-)
    My older less well sorted out boat is on its way ...
    I noticed this afternoon that CHANGABANG is on AIS and is ~ 30 miles west of St. Nazaire on the west coast of France, position 47-15 N x 002-40 W, headed west at about 5.5 knots...The AIS name is DESTINATION EVIAN if you dial up AIS Marine Traffic. Looks like favorable winds for the miles ahead. Good News!
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-10-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Made me think that I need to transfer the MMSI to me and update emergency information. But it's managed by the French government. We'll see what they say.

Very exciting news, Monsieur Jamotte! I'm getting excited. As we discussed, maybe sailors coming back up the coast from the San Diego - Ensenada race at about the time Changabang arrives thataway?

Name:  DestinationEvianAIS2.png
Views: 774
Size:  517.4 KB

I wish I'll be able to sustain the same speed as these pros have!

Name:  chart.jpeg
Views: 616
Size:  57.7 KB
    Last edited by jamottep; 01-11-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I wish I'll be able to sustain the same speed as these pros have!
    Taking into account tides in their vicinity are currently 33 feet springs (!) with currents to 12 knots.. CHANGABANG is getting a most favorable push with the northeast running flood. Good timing at getting past Alderney before the change....

With heavy up Channel traffic paralleling close to port, and shipping into Le Havre , they're earning their keep. Likely thankful for a full moon. You did say the radar was working, oui?
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-11-2020 at 10:17 PM.

About the routing... One can’t help bit wonder how much “local knowledge” comes into play. It would appear that these guys either know what they are doing, or are incredibly lucky. I suspect the former.
    Tom P.