Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    CA requires that I register the boat within 120 days.
    On this point you need to do further research. CA does not require DMV licensing just because you are a CA resident. The state licensing requirements in the US vary by state. Unlike some state, CA does not require DMV licensing for documented vessels. I understand you can’t do USCG Documentation, but could you document the boat in Belgium, or another EU country? Then all you would need is a Cruising License.

The situation with Double Espresso was very different. Assuming DE was CA DMV licensed, you merely transferred ownership under the CA DMV. Then you went sailing and never left the US. Technically, you only traveled from one US port to another.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 01-16-2020 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Changed “Permit to Proceed” to Cruising License.
    Tom P.

Thanks! Wouldn't hurt :-) If she's open to chat please let me know.
    She sympathized with your situation but was not sure she had the expertise to help with the specific concerns.

From my experience let me add the following-
    If you bring paperwork to register a new or used boat, the DMV will assess you sales tax unless you can show California sales tax was already paid to a CA dealer / broker. The exception is if you owned to boat / car for a period of time (3 months maybe) before you brought the boat into CA. With prior ownership for the required time, no sales tax is assessed. Depending on the amount of the potential tax, the DMV may require documentation about purchase date and entry into CA.

A boat or car / trailer bought into US will be subject to import duty (federal government). My Moore 24 and trailer was sold from CA to British Columbia. When I purchased it and brought it back, I paid import duty on the trailer since it was registered in BC. The Moore 24 was too small to require BC registration, so the customs decided it had never been formally imported to BC.

A cruising permit is a good idea if you can establish Belgium registry or keep the French registry.

Ants

That DMV visit with sales tax will be quite a hefty bill.

Well, I feel like history is repeating itself. I got a call this morning from my boss that my position was eliminated. The same happened with my Clipper and SHTP adventures. This brings up options and concerns. The main option would be departing in 2020 instead of 2021.

For now, my mother remains the owner and I will be her mandated skipper until I can sort things out.

We had to partially dismantle the cradle to fit height and width requirements but it's on its way to Antwerp now.

Name:  Ber.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  2.83 MB

Well, I feel like history is repeating itself. I got a call this morning from my boss that my position was eliminated. The same happened with my Clipper and SHTP adventures. This brings up options and concerns. The main option would be departing in 2020 instead of 2021.

For now, my mother remains the owner and I will be her mandated skipper until I can sort things out.
    Uh
    Brilliant! Oh, I mean, too bad. Maybe now you have time to 1) provision 2) prepare 3) leave w the SSS Transpac fleet, 4) re- provision in Hanalei Bay without disembarking. ?

No re-provisioning during an unassisted RTW.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    No re-provisioning during an unassisted RTW.
    Anchoring? Visiting? Official SSS mai tai?

Anchoring yes.... but if you were attempting a RTW would you go out of your way and stop for no reason? Have the record in question for any reason would be a big risk.

We had to partially dismantle the cradle to fit height and width requirements but it's on its way to Antwerp now.
    ======

Jobs....when you have them, you have income and no time....when you don't have them, you have no income, but lots of time.

ugh
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"