Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

CHANGABANG arrives tomorrow at Panama Canal aboard M/V STAR LIMA.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-257844000

If you click on the yellow dot in the center of the red square, it will provide a more detailed chart of M/V STAR LIMA's position.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-11-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I’ll make some hard tack, add dried cranberries, bring it to the 3 Bridge awards meeting Wed night.
    Thanks, I am planning to be there, traffic permitting.

And I'm happy to announce that we have another friendly supporter of this adventure. PredictWind has agreed to offer their Professional package. I (and many local and otherwise professional sailors) are using PredictWind to great benefit. I will mostly use their Offshore App. Note though that I believe SHTP rules preclude the use of their services, once the race has started. They are still a very useful source to compare possible routes and forecasts up to the race start.

We continue to taste freeze dried food. Chicken risotto was good (I'll prefer to spice it up) and creme brulee would definitely be something to look forward to (although it's quite sweet and would need to be divided into smaller portions or risk the sugar high slum :-).

Changabang appears to be waiting to get into the Panama canal ...

https://pjsails.com/more-supporting-friends/

Note though that I believe SHTP rules preclude the use of their services, once the race has started.
    Great product but ALL races don't allow use of their products as the routing is done on-shore, using their proprietary models.... both of which are not permitted while racing. Based on past experience I'm sure there are many who use their products while racing and simply don't care.

JP, if your record is around the world unassisted I believe you also can't use their products underway???

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Great product but ALL races don't allow use of their products as the routing is done on-shore, using their proprietary models.... both of which are not permitted while racing. Based on past experience I'm sure there are many who use their products while racing and simply don't care.

JP, if your record is around the world unassisted I believe you also can't use their products underway???
    It seems the governing body that would sanction the effort is the one to check for rules ahead of time. If I recall the effort by Jeane Socrates, iher effort was unassisted but she was in daily contact with shoreside verbal support, repair support, and weather support.

Since I have never followed up with the sanctioning body, I don't really have a clue.

However, there is always a lot of opinion about what's right or wrong, especially by folks that have no idea of the existing laws and regulations.

This blog will certainly get more interesting and informative.

Go PJ!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    From:. https://www.sailspeedrecords.com/the-courses-offshore

Under 21. Sailing rules
    g. Navigation
    Any type of navigation equipment is allowed and there is no objection to any type of information or advice being transmitted to or from the vessel. However, the vessel must be sailed by the crew, without any element of physical 'remote control'.

AFAIK all recent records really heavily on shore teams for weather, routing, sail selection, repair, health, etc.

World Speed Sailing Record Council records "unassisted" Round the World voyages validated by Stan Honey's "Black Box" that is required equipment. The Black Box belongs to the WSSRC and tracks the voyage.

Here is what WSSRC defines as "unassisted" other than navigation equipment and advice as outlined in above post by PJ:

Without assistance' means that a vessel may not receive any kind of outside assistance whatever, nor take on board any supplies (beyond the harvest of the sea), materials or equipment during an attempt. A vessel may be anchored or beached during the attempt, but any repairs must be made entirely by the crew without outside resources or materials. It is never permitted to take on board stores or equipment or get any other kind of help from another vessel whilst under way.

One would think this is clear. But apparently open to interpretation by WSSRC without explanation. IIRC, Jeanne Socrates lost her liferaft overboard, put into Sausalito, tied to a buoy at SYC, and was delivered, by an assisting boat, a new raft before continuing her non-stop, without assistance, voyage. Jeanne also moored to a pilot vessel buoy in harbor on the South Island of New Zealand. Apparently WSSRC considers tying to a buoy "anchoring?" What about tying to a dock, oil rig, or barge which is anchored? If you can be delivered a new raft, could you be delivered a mast, boom, or sail? They are all just as important pieces of equipment as a raft for safe completion of a non-stop, without assistance, voyage. Just sayin...
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-12-2020 at 05:39 PM.

From what I can tell Jeanne's is a performance certificate, not a record ...
    https://www.sailspeedrecords.com/per...e-certificates
    Last edited by jamottep; 02-12-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    From what I can tell Jeanne's is a performance certificate, not a record ...
    https://www.sailspeedrecords.com/per...e-certificates
    Not that it diminishes her accomplishment!

We've received partial support from another company. apsu is a provider of multivitamin and other supplements. One of the partner is Nick Moloney, whom you may know:

https://www.nickmoloney.com/

A Man a Plan a Canal Panama

Good news for those who've caught a case of "waiting-for-the-boatitis: CHANGABANG, aboard bulk carrier STAR LIMA, is currently transiting the Panama Canal. Once clear, she will make a call at Puerto Quetzal, largest port on Pacific Ocean coast of Guatamala, likely Tues/Wed.

From there to San Diego for offloading. CHANGABANG's likely ultimate destination will be Redwood City, nearby PJ's residence.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-15-2020 at 11:21 AM.