Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Aaahhh. Stairway to heaven?
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-06-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Aaahhh. Stairway to heaven?
    I must admit so far I'm not impressed with San Diego Port ops. I was told to be here at 5 pm. At 10:15 they had not yet started on Changabang and the union stevedores retired to come back at midnight. I'm waiting in a conference room on Star Lima. And as I write this a crew member offers me a slice of pizza and a drink, then offers me to charge my phone. All crew is Filipino and very friendly and professional, and young too. A world apart ...

Then there's this, which was supposed to have been fixed.

Name:  IMG_20200306_195234.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  4.28 MB

By 0330 PST Saturday, March 7, Changabang and Morning Star were secured in their respective slips at SGYC. A long afternoon into evening into the wee hours of the morning with more adrenaline-producing segments than expect. Neither boat damaged and no one injured, but . . .
    More to be written in due course.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I take it those are multiple crack at the leading edge of the hull to keel joint? I'm not sure what you meant by "fixed" but I wouldn't just fair that out. Could be much more hiding underneath. Those were they during the survey?

Default Follow Philippe and Rob up the California coast

PJ reports CHANGABANG is motorsailing off Catalina with the wind dead aft at 8 knots and all well. Rob T.and Lee are also aboard. Their current weather window looks good for getting north with SE winds from a stationary low offshore. Current routing includes a stop tomorrow at Oxnard, presumably Channel Islands Harbor.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-10-2020 at 09:16 PM.

I am currently sitting here at the nav station of Tiger Beetle while listening to the rain pitter patter on the cabin top - it's raining in Oxnard this norning, not much wind, not too cold - but definitely wet. I can observe Changabang slowly motoring across the Southern California bight from San Diego northwards towards the Ventura/Oxnard/Anacapa Channel.

Changabang must have a tiny engine and spinning an egg-beater propeller, as it is definitely not going fast. Buoy reports show 2 knots ESE gusting 4 with south swell at 3.6' @ 7 secondes - good conditions for motoring and crummy for sailing north. Changabang's AIS signal is visible via marinetraffic.com as the little pink arrow moving along at 4-5 knots of boat speed.

I sent a text message over to Rob T (assuming I have the right Rob T), if they do pull in to Channel Islands Harbor I am here and enjoying the morning while working on my trip preparations (today's task is continuing to scan equipment manuals so I can get the paper off the boat). I've got my pickup truck if they need transport, and would be happy to loan Philippe jerry jugs if they additional fuel for motoring up the coast. Conditions look good for going north later in the week if you don't mind motoring and wet as the next Low settles in.

- rob/beetle

And they made it to Channel Islands Harbor. The rain has stopped, the sun came out!

Name:  p3856509648-6.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  615.3 KB

Name:  Hatfield 1.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  107.3 KB

Here's one for the record books and for PJ to challenge: The World Sailing Speed Record Council has just confirmed a record time for sailing solo around the world westabout in a 40-foot boat. The elapsed time of 258 days, 22 hours, 24 minutes, an average speed of 3.48 knots, was set from June 2019 to February 2020 by Bill Hatfield sailing Brisbane, Australia and return via the Canary Islands and Cape Horn on his Northshore 38 L’EAU COMMOTION. It was Hatfield's 3rd attempt.

Bill lived on strict rations at sea. “For fresh water I had a desalinator, and my daily diet was a third of a tin of beans, a tin of tuna, 100 grams of rice and flour and oats, and 150 grams of milk powder.”

Bill Hatfield is 81. At one point he fell overboard without a tether. But managed to grab the toe rail, work his way aft, and climb back aboard using his water generator as a foot step. Amen.

Name:  Hatfield 2.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  53.4 KB

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/leaucommotion
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-11-2020 at 08:36 PM.