Page 48 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

New cable in place, was one foot too long but seems to be working. Will see what happens in the long run ...

You didn't use the rollerfurling on the way up the coast?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    You didn't use the rollerfurling on the way up the coast?
    Allow me to share a few details about the sail arrangements on Changabang (CaB for short). I'm not aware of everything since I've not tried everything yet.

1. Mainsail: Dyneema/Black Technora, square top, lazy jacks, 3 reefs, on a Ronstan mast track/battcar system.
    ==> There is also an old Dacron mainsail that I'm trying to refurbish for practice.
    ==> It would be nice to do a full maintenance on the track/battcars, considering that this is what erminated Alex Alley's attempt.

2. White headsails:
    2.1. Solent aka genoa: sits on the headstay with soft/Dyneema hanks. Same material, supposedly reefable with zippers but the zipper system is dead. There are reef grommets as well.
    ==> It would be nice to have a backup here. The invoice of the new one is about $10,000 ... That's not in the budget :-)

2.2. Trinquette aka staysail: sits on a removable headstay with soft/Dyneema hanks. Same material. Not used yet.
    ==> There is also an older Dacron staysail that I am having refurbished, and which we used on the way up the Coast.

3. Storm sails: one trysail (which I'm not sure how I'll attach to the mast owing to the fact that it uses grommets), one large storm jib (appears unused), one smaller storm jib (appears well used, and needs a bit of repair too).

4. Free flying headsails:
    1. Code 0 on 2:1 halyard with continuous furler; 2009. Looked ok when I used it although I didn't look at it much as I had other things on my mind!
    2. Gennaker same as above. 2007.
    3. Masthead spinnaker; 2017; with sock.
    4. Fractional spinnaker; 2007; supposedly reefable; with sock.

Voila ... More to come as I get the sails out in the air doing their thing ...

Without wanting to boast or doing the "don't jinx it" thing, I would like to highlight a couple things. When I bought Double Espresso I first motored in the Santa Cruz harbor. Those were very timid steps, and the learning curve was steep.
    When CaB arrived in San Diego, I had to take possession of a boat mostly 100% new to me, in the slings of a crane, and a few things went wrong. But we managed as a team, and CaB got safely to SGYC.
    Then we mostly motored to Oxnard in a boat still new to me. Then we sailed to HMB, two of us, in the conditions that we know.
    And a few days ago I went solo, casting off and trying new things.
    I am just amazed at the distance I have covered since those early days with DE.
    For sure those early successes are a strong reflection of the boat's quality.
    And the learning curve remains very steep, especially wrt boat systems, navigation and heavy weather handling.
    I'm gratefull for all those who helped me along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    ........~~~~~/)~~~~~~
    And a few days ago I went solo, casting off and trying new things.
    I am just amazed at the distance I have covered since those early days with DE.
    For sure those early successes are a strong reflection of the boat's quality.
    And the learning curve remains very steep, especially wrt boat systems, navigation and heavy weather handling.I'm grateful for all those who helped me along the way.
    +1 We appreciate your candidness and reminding we all can learn, any age. Thank you.

I read your thread and I am inspired. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    To remove the twists you first need to work out which way the line is twisted (clockwise or counter clockwise), then you're going to full hoist the halyard (with a tag line attached so you can pull it back down to the deck), put as many opposite twists in the tail in your hand that would normally be on the winch, then pull the halyard back down via the tag line - while pulling the tag line back down try to prevent the twists you just added to the halyard from un-twisting (e.g., keep rotating the halyard tail as it feeds back up into the mast). Keep doing this working the halyard up and down, eventually the reverse-twists you're adding to the halyard will work out through the mast sheave and you've untwisted the halyard. It can take me 8-10 up/downs to clear all the twists.
    - rob/beetle
    Well, although it looked like I had remove the twists when using a messenger line, when I tried to hoist the code 0 again, the halyard was again twisted on its own 4-5 times. I'm not sure what it is. I may try again to remove the twists like suggested, but with the sail attached this time (will need a day with no wind :-). A next step could be to take the line out completely and straighten it out. I wonder if it could be such that the cover and core have different twists in them.

Rant: all the headsail halyards have major chafe damage, except maybe the solent's. The staysail, masthead spinnaker, and 2:1 code fractional spi/code 0/ gennaker have their cover chafed 4/5 through. All because the boat was put away with the halyards brought back to the mast base. Buying new halyards is not in the budget. So I'm looking for good used ones and repairing these. How do I repair? By spending countless hours sewing a chafe sleeve over the damage. And I mean countless hours, it takes me about two days to do one! If you thought splicing was hard ... Try sewing a 48 plaits chafe sleeve on a well used halyard. These lines are so hardened, after sewing 1/3 of the plaits it gets really hard to sew more than one at a time! I can only hope it's not wasted time ... If someone has experience with this pls step in :-)
    That was not on the list ...

Is the age of the halyards known? You definitely don't want to be headed off across the pond and having halyards break as you go.

- rob/beetle

How long are the halyards? How long are the tails?
    Can you cut a few feet off and move the position of the chafe?

When I bought the current boat, she had a chafe patch on the main halyard. After about a year and a half, the chafe patch/sleeve bunched up, at the mast head, and I damned near couldn't get the sail down. When I took the halyard into Hansen for repair, Glen took the it off, saying "no bueno".

If you forgo color coding, a spool might be the cheapest?
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.