Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Is the age of the halyards known?
    Nope, but they look decent, aside from the chafe, which itself was done when the boat was on the dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    How long are the halyards? How long are the tails?
    Can you cut a few feet off and move the position of the chafe?

When I bought the current boat, she had a chafe patch on the main halyard. After about a year and a half, the chafe patch/sleeve bunched up, at the mast head, and I damned near couldn't get the sail down. When I took the halyard into Hansen for repair, Glen took the it off, saying "no bueno".

If you forgo color coding, a spool might be the cheapest?
    I can cut some off but it wouldn't be enough to help with the cover damage. Yes, I can see how the chafe sleeve bunching up would be a problem. That said, from what I can tell, all these bigger boats have chafe and friction (to help with clutch slippage) sleeves everywhere. So it looks like standard practice; I guess it just has to be done right. I'll be monitoring sheets/halyards for chafe anyways so that'll be part of the job.

One word: there are two ways to secure a chafe sleeve. You can splice it or sew it. Splicing can be easily recognized by the whipping, which is what may cause the bunching up. All hypothesis ... Experience will be the master. Nothing is as good a teacher as a 180 square meters spinnaker going in the water :-)
    Last edited by jamottep; 04-17-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Name:  IMG_20200417_180459.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  4.04 MB

That's a beautiful boat, Philippe. I'll bet it was very exciting to be out on the ocean alone with her. Finally.
    You are very articulate about the many steps necessary to sailing such a complicated boat. I know you are like a sponge regarding your ability to absorb information. So many steps, only one person on the boat to complete them all: it's good that you are becoming familiar with Changabang. I can't imagine having to remember to do everything that needs doing when sleep deprived. Learn fast, Monsieur!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Learn fast, Monsieur!
    Oh yeah! Check this out and see if you can spot the problems: https://pjsails.com/whats-wrong-with-these-pictures/

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Oh yeah! Check this out and see if you can spot the problems: https://pjsails.com/whats-wrong-with-these-pictures/
    Never mind the novel sheet lead, the spinnaker sock won't work without an internal hoop and 2 part retrieval line.
    Does the spinny halyard shackle have a swivel? Are the patches sewn on or stuck on? Maybe secure the turtle to the boat before hoisting..... Oh, it kinda looks like the tack and clew of the asymmetrical are reversed, and the halyard is led under the headstay. How did that work
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-30-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Never mind the novel sheet lead, the spinnaker sock won't work without an internal hoop and 2 part retrieval line.
    Does the spinny halyard shackle have a swivel? Are the patches sewn on or stuck on? Maybe secure the turtle to the boat before hoisting..... Oh, it kinda looks like the tack and clew of the asymmetrical are reversed, and the halyard is led under the headstay. How did that work
    First picture: correct, I did lead the sheets not so the right way, on both sides! I only discovered when I was already flying the spinnaker, but was able to fix when it came down the first time. I don't think I damaged the sheets ...

The second picture: correct, a couple days before I had neatly tucked the sock's halyard. When I hoisted the sock, I forgot to uncoil the sock's halyard. And so I had a sock but no halyard :-)

The third picture: you're close. It's really hard to spot. The spinnaker head is passing in between the bag and a line that secures the top of the bag. In other words, if I had not spotted that one, the bag would have gone up with the spinnaker :-)

So here's how yesterday unfolded: https://pjsails.com/first-time-with-the-spinnaker/

And, I made contact with ATN, Inc.. Etienne Giroire is the man there. We had a good discussion; I've just received his solo mast climbing gear. And I'll report on that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Philippe, how many spinnakers do you have? Are they all in socks? I guess all sock spins are asyms, no? Do you have options in case those internal lines get ... tangled up?

PJ listed on his Forum post #473 his sail inventory, including 4 free flying headsails (spinnakers).

4 xFree flying headsails:

1. Code 0 on 2:1 halyard with continuous furler; 2009. Looked ok when I used it although I didn't look at it much as I had other things on my mind!
    2. Gennaker same as above. 2007.
    3. Masthead spinnaker; 2017; with sock.
    4. Fractional spinnaker; 2007; supposedly reefable; with sock.