Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the World from West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I will also buy you a double coconut ice cream cone upon your arrival.
    Now that's motivational talk!

I'm wondering what you get by writing these lectures. It is time consuming. I wonder what purpose they serve.
    It serves to give you a reality check and provide some context and history.... you know what they say about not learning from history. Doing a SHTP is nothing like doing an around the world. Your mileage may vary.

PJ, I wish I had your drive. I underestimated you the first time and I won't make that mistake again.

It may end up looking more like Jim's or Jeanne's RTW but I can see you doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    It serves to give you a reality check and provide some context and history.... you know what they say about not learning from history. Doing a SHTP is nothing like doing an around the world. Your mileage may vary.
    If that's the intent then I didn't get it. I don't see a reality check above. All I read was "nay saying". Reading a book by a previous Vendée Globe skipper, yes, that helps see the tip of the iceberg.

Of course doing what less than 250 people have done will be hard. And yes I do know that comparatively sailing to Hawaii is a walk in the park. I'm very aware that I may not get anywhere. I have not even started. I'm not even committed. Then again, a double coconut ice cream ...
    Last edited by jamottep; 07-31-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    PJ, I wish I had your drive. I underestimated you the first time and I won't make that mistake again.

It may end up looking more like Jim's or Jeanne's RTW but I can see you doing it.
    Thanks Bob ...

Jeanne Baret? Jim who?

Jim Kellam and Jeanne Socrates both circumnavigated solo after racing in the SHTP. I've lost track but I think Jim is on his second and Jeanne is hoping to do a third.

When I was 12, I marked my RTW route in a Rand-McNally World Atlas. I fully intended to go, then life happened. Life is good, but now I must live that dream through others like you.

There may be some confusion. I'm not interested in organizing a race or anything close. I'm only looking for pointers/helpers to assist in preparing for a solo RTW trip.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    There may be some confusion. I'm not interested in organizing a race or anything close. I'm only looking for pointers/helpers to assist in preparing for a solo RTW trip.
    Ah, that's not what I thought, then. Organizing a Solo Around the World Race, starting from the west coast is going to be nigh impossible. At least, not without millions of dollars. That's what I thought you were about....I mean, you're writing about organizing a team and all. Also, here's your first post in this thread:

":If I'm not mistaken the only single handed non stop circumnavigation sailing race/event is the Vendée Globe. This event requires a significant budget.
    I think that there are a couple other events this year as well.
    Has there been any consideration in the past to host such an event from the US? By the SSS or others? How about looking at the future?"

Somewhere along the line you might have changed the threads focus, I probably missed it.

Organizing your own personal RTW trip, is a huge undertaking, but eminently doable. I'm 100% down with that! (Not that it matters!) Go for it!
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-01-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Jim Kellam sails a Spencer 35. It's a 60's-vintage, "full keel" cruising boat. Hal and Margaret Roth sailed a Spencer 35.

http://bluewaterboats.org/spencer-35/

They can be bought for about $25K, I'd think. Jeanne Socrates sails a Najad 380. I don't think there are a whole lot of them in the USA, I don't really know what they sell for.

I'm sure you know about the currently running Golden Globe race. Most of those boats, full-keeled 60's and 70's vessels, or newer boats that hearken back to those design principles, are good solid sea boats. What, the rules say 33 -36 feet? There are a zillion boats like that, that with the proper preparation, could do a solo RTW trip. Pick a boat like that and you could probably do the trip for $75,000 or even $50,000.

You don't have to go in an Open 40.

Doing a solo RTW trip, with stops, in something like a Spencer 35...really, almost any of the boats listed here: http://bluewaterboats.org/

....is a whole different kettle of fish from trying to organize a solo 'round the world race, or even put together a one-boat campaign to do something like the Vendee.

==============

EDIT: if it were me, thinking of doing this, I might pick a Niagara 35. There's one for sale on the East Coast right now for $22.5. Another one is for sale in MI for $29K. Dwight Odom, former SSS Commodore had one for several years, you could ask him what he thinks.

if you want to go faster, a J-35 or even a J-36, as long as the survey says the decks are dry, would be a good choice. You can get J-35's for <$30K, now.
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-01-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Finished Rich Wilson's book relating his first Vendée Globe. Now onto Lundy's Godforsaken Sea.