Thread: Emergency Rudder Article: Sail Magazine

Default Emergency Rudder Article: Sail Magazine

Just when I let my "Sail"magazine subscription lapse, in the final (March issue) they finally published an article worth reading. "Rudderless" Robin Urquhart, with help from our SSS friends Rob Macfarlane and Paul Kamen, presents a good explanation of rudders and "rudderless" including several emergency rudders.

Paul has two: (1) His older "Soft Rudder" for which other are plans on the SSS website and (2) a new-to-me idea for a "Finned Steering Oar." The "Oar" is constructed from old sailboard parts including masts and some old centerboards. This "Steering Oar" looks simple and inexpensive to construct, compact enough (when disassembled) to stow conveniently, and if Paul claims it works, I'd be inclined to believe him. There are clear pictures and diagrams.

I think the article is worth a look for anyone venturing out the Gate on an ocean race, short or long. -- Pat

I recall Max Ebb's description of the finned steering oar some time ago in Latitude 38. Paul often seems to plagiarize Max Ebb! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)