Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking the Corinthian Race

Default Tracking the Corinthian Race

Hell has frozen over - Bob Johnston is promoting trackers!

Specifically Traccar.

I was one of Jibeset's (Ray Irvine's) guinea pigs for the Three Bridge Fiasco and used the Traccar app. I followed the instructions, downloading Traccar from the App Store and installing it on my iPhone (it also works with Androids). I started it shortly before departing RYC and it did its thing.

It was cool - it recorded my route and I was able to replay it after the race. Ray added a timer so I could see how good a start I had (pretty good actually).

Because we have course options for the Corinthian Race (which way around Angel Island?) the Traccar app will make it interesting to see which way boats went and how that worked out. So give it a try! The price is right (FREE) and you can be one of the cool kids.

The instructions (from last time) include two main tasks: 1) Installing the app on your phone and adjusting the settings, and 2) Registering your phone with Jibeset:

1. Set up iPhone or Android Phone:

A. Download the Traccar client. It is available for IOS (App Store) and Android (Google Play)

B. Set it up as follows:
    Device identifier: Replace the value that is there with your cell phone number
    Server URL: Replace the value that is there with http://www.sfbayraces.com {entered exactly as shown}
    Location accuracy: “High”
    Frequency: 30
    Distance: leave blank or zero
    Angle: leave blank or zero
    If your phone has a “background” or “multi tasking’ option, turn it “ON”
    If you are using an Android phone, set Location Mode to “High accuracy”

C. To confirm that the settings are correct, set the Traccar Service Status to “ON”. It sends the phone’s location to Jibeset via sfbayraces.com

D. Go to: www.jibeset.net/smtester.php?DD=NN {NN is the date (day of month) that you are testing on}

E. Follow the instructions to show that you have entered the data correctly and position data is being received by Jibeset from your phone.
    Updated instructions can be found at: www.jibeset.net/smtester.php?DD=NN {NN is the date (day of month)}

2. Register the phone with Jibeset:

1. When E (above) is completed, click “Register Phone”
    2. Login to your Jibeset account in the usual way
    3. Click “Register Tracker” {near the bottom of the Racer command list}
    4. Register your Cell Phone
    "How to register a Smart phone tracker" is at the bottom of the device list
    Enter the 10 digit Cell Number {= Device identifier}
    Enter the made and model of your phone
    Check “Smartphone Tracker”
    Click “Add device”
    The phone number is registered and test “E” is repeated to make sure the cell number has been entered correctly
    When happy with the results, click “Register Phone”

Once registered with Jibeset, the phone (boat) will be tracked when racing in a Jibeset race and the Traccar App service is turned on.
    To watch during the race, go to: www.jibeset.net/tv.php
    To replay the race, go to: www.jibeset.net and Click “Replay Race”
    From the list of Club / Races, find the race that you are interested in.
    As always, we are very interested in your feedback - info@jibeset.net

3. Then before the race be sure to turn it ON:
    Iphone: WiFi --> ON, Blue Tooth --> ON, Traccar Location accuracy --> High, Traccar App -> ON
    Android: WiFi --> ON, Blue Tooth --> ON, Setting --> Location --> Mode --> High Accuracy, Traccar Location accuracy --> High, Traacar App --> ON
    Phone Battery fully charged

Name:  Tracker Button.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  109.2 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-21-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    The price is right (FREE) and you can be one of the cool kids.
    I like free things and of course want to be one of the cool kids, but as far as I can tell, Traccar is $10/month. Am I mistaken?

I haven't paid anything yet (and probably wouldn't). Maybe Ray can clarify?

I haven't paid anything yet (and probably wouldn't). Maybe Ray can clarify?
    This from Ray: Where did you get the $10 per month idea.

There are two parts to Traccar - client and server.

The client is free on Android play and Apple Store.

You can set up and test at www.jibeset.net/smtester_00.php

with the latest instructions

Just make sure you use the correct options and register your cell number with Jibeset

Have fun!

I found it by searching for Traccar Client.

I presume I need to be outside -- or at least not deep in a cube farm -- for this to work? I'm getting the "Location update" status messages, and no failure messages, but Jibeset doesn't know where I am ("No data from Cell Phone recorded today").

I got that "No Data" message initially.

(From my computer) at the top of the Google Map, I re-entered my cell phone number and clicked "Continue," then followed the next link over to Jibeset where I re-registered my phone. Be sure to follow the instructions precisely.

Now I'm on the Google map, sitting here in my office in Concord. I'm moving around a bit - must be the lunch...
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-22-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Now I'm on the Google map, sitting here in my office in Concord.
    That tracking on your cell phone? Hope you have a plan with unlimited data. I don't.

I'm displaying the map on my computer screen, not the phone. I figure while I'm sailing, I'll already know where I am (gosh I hope so).

I have Location Services set to "only when using the app" for all apps, and I discovered during the 3BF that (at least on my phone) Bluetooth can be left off. That saves the phone battery.

Caveat: I barely know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-22-2018 at 02:30 PM.

I'm displaying the map on my computer screen, not the phone.
    Well, using a tracker while you are in the office certainly reduces the wear and tear on Ragtime! No worries about anything breaking, either. Temperature controlled, no need to determine the strength of the currents or wind. I think you are on to something. Looking past my own computer screen, I see people walking by all bundled up, leaning into the wind. Mo betta in here today. Saturday will be a different matter altogether.