Thread: 2018 Round the Rocks Pixs

Default 2018 Round the Rocks Pixs

Ahoy!
    Here are some pixs from the race:
    https://cluster.co/i/7RJG9TVA
    Feel free to add any you took to this album too.
    Wow! That was a rippin' ebb at the Brothers today!
    Almost didn't make it around!

Cheers
    Randy
    W32 Tortuga
    ~~~_/) ~~~

And a quick YouTube video of the slow downwind leg to The Brothers. If you see anything off please point it out. I think the pole was too low.

https://youtu.be/nX28Jw3mzZg

Did anyone else see what looked like red tide between the Brothers and the bridge? There were patches of red colored water that we went through heading back to the finish. If it was I've never heard of it being in the Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by captleasure View Post
    Ahoy! Wow! That was a rippin' ebb at the Brothers today! Almost didn't make it around!
    Cheers
    Randy
    W32 Tortuga
    ~~~_/) ~~~
    Wow! You aren't kidding that was "a rippin' ebb"! David Nabors was aboard with me on Dura Mater, and as we approached the brothers under poled out jib we kept an eye (well, four eyes) on our speed: from 3.4 knots to 2.1 knots and finally down to .8 knots. OMG! OMG! Please don't stop us now! We sailed on almost around that red buoy on the north side before feeling good about tacking east! Then we watched Apogee behind us, then Daniel, ducking the Vallejo ferry, but no Randy. Aaaaggghhh! Not for a long time, anyway.

What a lovely day to sail! Thanks for your photos. I sent the one of DM under spinnaker to all my friends in Wisconsin. They all hate me now because they are in a blizzard. hehe Bad Jackie

Yes I saw the weird red/dark patches on the tidal area approaching the brothers.
    Odd indeed!

I got caught on the wrong tidal conveyor belt and was stuck trying to make my way around the brothers rocks!
    Took me about 20 min to crawl around them!

An even 100 shorthanded crews signed for the Single Handed Sailing Society's
    "Round The Rocks" race on Saturday. A 19.3 nm jaunt from the Berkeley Circle, up and over
    "The Rock" Alcatraz, and up to Harding Rock and then north the Bothers, leaving all to starboard,
    then back south leaving Red Rock to port and finishing in the Potrero Reach at the RYC Race Platform.

Conditions were as expected, light to medium at start with winds in the 8-10 knot with slack water changing
    towards an ebb made for a fast ride to the west from the flats towards the gate, and just enough south in breeze
    for boats carrying kites to set them after rounding Harding. Nary a boat we saw headed towards Point Blunt, instead
    Raccoon Strait was the route d'jour. And though winds were lighter in the strait for the front runners, it was still
    enough for decent smg through and out towards the North Bay.

Buzz and Mikey taking a break in Kiel Cove

The one caveat was the sneaky mud bank that lives between Elephant Rock and Bluff Point on the
    north side of the strait. Condor was doing quite well in the DH Monohulls when they went into a gybe which
    never really got completed. "We had just started the gybe, and I was looking at the depth sounder, it had gone from
    60' to 25' and then thud" Buzz would later explain. With a little assist, they were able to use their anchor to kedge
    off the berm but had to retire due to utilizing motor and outside assistance.

Meanwhile, back on the course, Peter Stoneberg's Prosail 40' Shadow was engaged in a slow but steady upstream
    battle to get up and over The Brothers, in hot pursuit, the mighty tris, Looking Good, Roshambo and Mojo along with a few ULBS
    Timberwolf, and Outsider. Shadow would round 1st in 10-12 knots, followed closely by Looking Good then Outsider for 1st Mono.
    With the current now assisting, it was a mad dash towards the finish. Shadow would take the overall 1st o finish, crossing the line @ 14:45:24 but would relenquish
    all the in spades, as the back of the fleet got a large dose of extra breeze assist, a 10 knot or so boost, that provided the higher raters a gift from Mana.

The sudden increase in wind gave the boats in the back a healthy dose of "Yes We Can" and the crew working the finish line a big shot of "Yikes, they are all coming at once"

All in all, the vast majority finishing in a window between 15:15:00 and 15:40:00

The various corrected time winners are listed below in results.

All in all a great day of short handed sailing with a big thrust at end to give crews even more to smile about.

Outsider, with Greg Nelsen and Ethiopian Tom would take 1st Monohull honors, AND fastest elapsed time entire fleet honors, but correct out well down the food chain.

Selects Gallery

Fleet Results

Overall Results

The awards ceremony last night was replete with happy people winning Round the Rocks baubles. Find here photos of the SSS Commodore, David Herrigel, dispensing pretty things to a big group of stalwart SSS members.

Christine Weaver is shown collecting Stink Eye's award, on the other end of the camera this time. Jonathan Gutoff sat at the closed bar, thirsty but proud. Find here Brian Boschma, winning first place on his stealthy Red Sky, having almost clocked another boat rounding the Brothers in that wicked ebb. Beat Wirz, first place with his Ranger 23 Lackerli. Yes, those boats have a reputation. Couple that with someone who has sailed all his life and that's a no brainer.

A sailing friend recently chided me for 1/ being mean to Wileys and 2/ Misspelling Wylies. Effective immediately I will spell those boats' name correctly. In the past I've had Wylie skippers aboard Dura Mater and have learned from both of them. From Pat Broderick I learned how to fine tune my understanding of Dura Mater's "wind instruments" - that is, how to adjust my sails and read the tell tales in low and not so low wind. Thank you again, Pat. From Al Germain I learned how to sail fast in high wind and heavy fog. Carefully. Thanks, Al. That was fun. And find here a photo of Tom Boussie, who has complained for years about racing against Wylies. In his acceptance speech JouJou's skipper grinned and exulted: "Finally! I beat those damned Wylies!" hahaha. All in good fun. Now: Do it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

One of these days I'll attend an award evening ... We had the Spring concert for our daughter's beginner band class ...