Thread: Ocean downwind angles

Default Ocean downwind angles

I saw a video with Stan Honey where he spoke of ocean downwind angles vs inshore downwind angles.

Could someone clarify this for me please? What's the difference and how do I find mines?

I would have to see what exactly he was referencing, but i think it would be in regards to how the boat was impacted by the swells, and how the helmsman or crew then had to sail the boat differently as a result, to obtain optimal VMG.

For example an Olson 30 like yours would likely be able to sail deeper angles inshore vs offshore, in light air, as a result of the swells. In 8 knots of breeze or something, the boat could go very deep if the water was very flat. In a rolling seaway however, the boat would need to run a hotter angle to prevent the sea state from rolling the boat and collapsing the kite repeatedly.

On the other hand, in something like 15 knots inshore, the boat would still be running deep downwind for best VMG, where as in the ocean you may be again heating it up a bit to initiate surfing at the same wind speed, again based on the swells.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie simpson View Post
    I would have to see what exactly he was referencing
    http://www.livestream.com/pacificcup...edium=ui-thumb

Around 10 min mark if I recall correctly ...