Thread: out for the summer

Default out for the summer

I have done a number on my rotator cuff....actually did it last October and I've been just living with it since then. I'm having reconstructive surgery on the 4th, won't be sailing for about 2 1/2 months after that.

I DID take Joan up for a nice sail to San Francisco this past weekend. We had lunch at the ramp which was a big hit with her.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Also, somebody buy this so I can mooch rides on it.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996.../United-States

I've managed to avoid that surgery for quite a few years, but my cuff is starting to complain lately, and it may only be a matter of time.
    Talk about poor timing! Broke my boat a couple years ago and lost 9 weeks mid summer in the yard; it seemed easy at first...
    In the future, try and schedule surgeries, and haul outs in spring or fall, (winter is a poor time for a haul out)
    If withdrawal gets too fierce, before you're able to hang on again, I'm sure one of us would gladly ratchet-strap you to a mast for a few hours.

"Out for the Summer" might be a good name for a Quest 30. Happens to have the same number of syllables as "Wildcat of Loch Awe"

I got cut starting around 7:00 am this morning. Now I'm in a sling for six weeks... Hurts like a beeeee-oitch right now but onwards and upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I got cut starting around 7:00 am this morning. Now I'm in a sling for six weeks... Hurts like a beeeee-oitch right now but onwards and upwards.
    Oh, poor Alan! You'll have to come sailing in the Delta with Dura Mater: Nice gentle breeze, you won't get thrown around at all. Bring Joan.

I had my last PT session this morning. I didn't compete at the Pleasanton Highland Games this past weekend, I really need 3-4 more weeks before I go all-out. That was tough. I can't help thinking that if I'd just said "enough" of the pain a month earlier than I did, I could have recovered in time to get in a few weeks of practice and go compete at the US Championships one last time. Ah, well....hindsight is 20-20. I'm starting to practice again, had my first "real" practice yesterday and it went fine, basically pain-free. I'll have my last Highland Games at Ventura, second weekend in October.

I've been sailing exactly once since May. George McKay took me and Joan out on his sailboat from Moss Landing to do some whale watching. I sat in the cockpit and didn't move the whole time, basically!

The Cruise-In will be my first time back on the water, doing much of anything on my own boat. I'm looking forward to it. Anyway, The six weeks of "recovery", plus six weeks of "rehab", plus six weeks of "strengthening" are over, and I'll be back on the water, shortly. I've been anal-retentive about doing all the PT exercises, regularly and it has paid off.