Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shad Lemke is heading out the gate for qualifier, riding Dark Horse

Default Shad Lemke is heading out the gate for qualifier, riding Dark Horse

Watch his progress at :

https://share.garmin.com/ShadLemke

This from our cowboy:
    (1/2) Came across a pod of whales by angel island last night upon leaving. One surfaced right under the boat, hit the hull but no damage, just startling.

How exciting!! Go Shad!! Love the name of his boat. What's weather looking like? I'm out here in the Mojave Desert for another 4 days where it's hot and windy. Curious what it's like to be offshore right now....

Autopilot is working great, solar is more than adiquite,wind is steady, ive been napping all day. life is good inr.ch/PIW4YYB - Shad Lemke

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Curious what it's like to be offshore right now....
    Name:  2018-40-28 @ 1630.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  130.0 KB
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I'm wondering why he's going North ...

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Wind largely out of W, so he can go NW or SW. Putting some North in the bank for when the wind veers northerly.

Windy shows him heading right into the wind though. At least it is not blowing too hard.

https://www.windy.com/?namConus,37.847,-124.475,8

[Those of us you who are watching Shad Lemke’s tracker may have noticed that he left Richmond for his qualifier and headed for Red Rock. I asked him about it and here is his response]

I was dodging ships and trying to reef and trying to get the boat setup. That direction bought me some time to get situated. Took forever to get through raccoon strait with the flood. Glad to be out here after all the hard work on the boat.

[And later today April 28, 2018/ Saturday afternoon]

Pretty easy today. Seas are flat and the wind is pleasant. Had a very active night last night. Lots of shipping traffic. Lots of whales.

And then I started grilling him. He must be having an easy time of it so far, because he responded:

[Are you keeping warm?]

The breeze at night is a little chilly, but it’s still warmer than Montana.

[What are you having for dinner?]

Dinner is going to be Mountain House spaghetti. I’m never getting the breakfast skillet again, it was pretty bad.

[Any nausea?]

No nausea, Meclazine is working. I have been eating and drinking.

[How is a sail qualifier similar to a rodeo?]

Qualifier and horse: similar in that you have to deal with what you are dealt and don’t get bucked off!

[What is your horse’s name?]

I name my horses after the cowboy way of life, so they are: Lonesome, Busted Up, Broke, Misery and Ornery

[Do your favorite horse and your boat share any qualities?]

I guess both my boat and my horses are pretty responsive and you can get a lot out of them.

[Have you ever done barrel racing? This question is from a horse friend in Wisconsin/Amy from The Fiasco]

Never barrel raced, I rode broncs, got top horse in a ranch rodeo and showed working cowhorses.

[When do you plan to head offshore?]

My plan is to make my way north for another day until the wind picks up to 30 knots tomorrow night then broad reach SW for awhile, gybe and broad reach. I plan on heading offshore at least 100 miles on my way back down.

[What is it Skip says? “Yee doggies!”]

Lee, in Windy.com is one able to plug in lat and long and locate a boat?