Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shad Lemke is heading out the gate for qualifier, riding Dark Horse

Default How to enter Lat/Lon on windy

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Lee, in Windy.com is one able to plug in lat and long and locate a boat?

Here is an example, it is plugged into the URL call: https://www.windy.com/37.445/-122.533?45.575,9.533,7

That example puts you right on the coast.

Once there view the menu on the right. You can do various overlays. For example, if you want to see 850mb upper air pressure charts, you can select that with the bottom right slider.

BB
    Last edited by brianb; 04-28-2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Add info

That’s a great little app. It can follow me around as I shop for blueberries at Berkeley Bowl and drink coffee in my kitchen, usurping my identity. Alan, will you give it access to your location?
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-29-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Okay, I get it now. I registered for the Windy.com app and site. Shad's tracker gives me his coordinates, which I then plug into the Windy.com app as "California 37.94,124.27" and it shows me that he is in 14 knots of wind, increasingly higher through tomorrow. 17 knots higher. That's a skittish boat. Good thing he has ridden broncos.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-29-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Sunday noon 042918

From Shad Lemke: The moon was really bright last night, seemed like daytime. I went to do a headsail change when a little rain squall passed over and after I [got] the number 3 down, I got a little nauseous so with the higher winds I just continued under the main last night which kept the boat steady and allowed me to get some sleep and made my nausea go away.

Had to hail a freighter that was a mile away and bearing down on me and asked him to change course.

I’m continuing today conservatively knowing heavy weather is on the way. I should make my turn around mark late tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Took forever to get through raccoon strait with the flood. .
    I guess that explains why his tacks through Raccoon Strait were so flat.

Can anyone explain why Garmin shows him with two tracks -- one for his over-all course, and second track covering late Friday night into Saturday morning, with slight variations between the two?

Name:  Shad tracks.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  212.0 KB

Just curious.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I don't see that on my laptop. Nor on my iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    I guess that explains why his tacks through Raccoon Strait were so flat.

Can anyone explain why Garmin shows him with two tracks -- one for his over-all course, and second track covering late Friday night into Saturday morning, with slight variations between the two?

Name:  Shad tracks.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  212.0 KB

Just curious.

I don't know why, but the close points are separated by one minute, approximately. To see the double track you have to zoom in.

It appears he is in for a very brisk few days, through Wednesday. Maybe Tuesday he will be back in the Bay ?

Predictwind has him sailing later today into 30+ knots of wind on the aft quarter with 10-12' / 7 s seas. Should be a thoroughly unpleasant 12 hours or more. He was smart to go north.

What is the boat model?

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    Predictwind has him sailing later today into 30+ knots of wind on the aft quarter with 10-12' / 7 s seas. Should be a thoroughly unpleasant 12 hours or more. He was smart to go north.

What is the boat model?
    O30, so he is used to getting wet. It's also going to be cold as hell so unpleasantness will be accompanied by misery.

This kind of sailing could grow on me. I watch from my couch while someone else does the dirty work.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 04-30-2018 at 09:07 AM.