Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSS Cruise-Down to Sequoia Yacht Club

[QUOTE=Daydreamer;21650]Tish and I are planning to attend!!

Excellent choice of crew!

Default UPDATE regarding the SSS Cruise-Out on Saturday October 6, 2018.

We will reconnoiter at McCovey Cove @ High Noon on Saturday. Remember, this is not a race. It is a Cruise. There are no rules, skippers must find their own way down via charts and avoid all manner of pitfalls and restricted areas without the guidance of a race committee. Wearing a life jacket is recommended. Boats will monitor Channel 72.

Below click to find charts of the South Bay and a map of The Port of Redwood City Yacht Harbor. See the location of Sequoia Yacht Club on the map. If you find it too difficult to open the attachments, call Jackie @ 510.681.5440 before Friday October 5 and leave a message. I will walk you through the process of locating them on your computer. If you don’t have a computer I will mail you the map and charts.

The street address of Sequoia Yacht Club is 441 Seaport Court, Redwood City. There is room to stern-raft up for several boats at the Sequoia Clubhouse deck. The Yacht Club has showers for use, but they will be closed at 8pm.

If you have a slow fat boat and you don’t think you’ll get those raft up spaces you might call ahead to reserve a slip from Spinnaker Sailing, which manages the harbor. Slip rental = $1.00/foot. No credit cards, cash or check only. A separate cash deposit is required for the gate key/fob. For slips call Rich Ferrari or Dana Ochstein @ 650.363.1390 email: office@spinnakersailing.com.

It is recommended that you call ahead for a slip.

The harbormaster office hours on Saturday and Sunday = 9am – 5pm. They monitor channel 16 but weekends are busy, so phoning is preferred.
    http://www.spinnakersailing.com/redwoodcitymarina/

• The SSS will provide hamburgers, hot dogs and a vegetarian option (probably bocaburgers), also some kind of yummy dessert. Please bring side dishes of your choice to share. They don't have to be elaborate, just edible. Chips and dip are not side dishes. We are welcome to use the club’s gas grills.

• There will be a Sequoia member available behind the bar until 8pm.
    • After 8pm we cannot drink on the Club's beautiful deck or on the guest dock. After 8 pm all alcoholic beverages must be moved aboard our boats.

• THERE WILL BE PRIZES FOR: 1/ The oldest SSS shirt; 2/ The most friends and family members aboard upon arrival; 3/ Youngest crew member aboard; 4/ longest trip (set your gps odometer as you leave your slip), 5/ oldest SSS hat. Maybe one extra prize depending upon demand.

There have been questions:
    Q: how good are the prizes? I don’t need another tshirt
    A: The prizes are very cool. Not expensive. Very SSS.

Q: How many points for children?
    A: Despite stereotypes to the contrary, many members of the singlehanded sailing society like children. Some even have children of their own. To encourage this proclivity children aboard garner double points. Anticipating PHYF questions (“performance handicap youth fleet”), a measurement method (a measuring tape) will be utilized at the Sequoia Yacht Club if necessary. There will be no appeal process and protests will be disregarded.

If you can’t persuade anyone to sail with you, if you can’t bribe friends and no one will let you borrow their children, take note:

This is the Singlehanded Sailing Society. It’s okay to come solo.

Photo below is an example of a typical Cruise-Out Dinner

Name:  Cruise Out Dinner.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  73.9 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-04-2018 at 10:12 AM.

There might be some kite-flying done on the Wildcat, should a few crew be available.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default Last Minute Reminder

The Sequoia Yacht Club has advised me that space at their guest dock is a bit shorter this year because a club member with a large cruising sailboat is tied up there through the weekend. There should be room for about 4 or five sailboats in the 30’ range, otherwise you are advised to reserve a slip of your very own. I’ve reserved a slip for Dura Mater @ B-9.

If don’t think you’ll get one of those raft up spaces you might call ahead to reserve a slip from Spinnaker Sailing, which manages the harbor. Slip rental = $1.00/foot. No credit cards, cash or check only. A separate cash deposit is required for the gate key/fob. For slips call Rich Ferrari or Dana Ochstein @ 650.363.1390

It is not clear at this time whether we will have access to the kitchen for breakfast Sunday morning. Best idea is to bring your own breakfast just in case. Strong coffee available on Dura Mater, c'mon over, I'm awake early.

Who is coming? Mike and Cindi Meloy s/v Even Keel, Rob Tryon and LaDonna Bubeck on one of their two or three beautiful boats, Tom Boussie on JouJou with an even newer rudder than when he left for Kauai, Greg Ashby and Titia Farthing on Nightmare, Alan Hebert and the long promised Joan s/v Wildcat of Loch Awe, David Nabors sans boat, maybe Philippe Jamotte if he can figure out how to get himself up to South Beach Harbor, David the Commodore via land yacht, Dennis Maggard of Hanalei Bay fame and Kristen Soetebier, SSS treasurer.

It would be great to also have YOU come. Remember that there will be prizes and cupcakes. What's not to like?

Name:  Sequoia YC 6am.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  257.1 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-04-2018 at 10:00 AM.

The SSS Cruise Down to Sequoia YC was a "don't miss" event. Fresh Westerlies blew the fleet down in good order, leaving the Blue Angels in the dust. Only one soft grounding was reported, that by a Redwood City local in home waters.

It was a diverse group of both newcomers and old guard, not to mention the SSS staff commodore, treasurer, webmaster emeritus, historian, chronicler, cat herder, bouncer, reverend, shoreboat captain, at least 10 SHTP participants and 3 SHTP overall winners.

The sea stories, delicious BBQ and food, unique and historical prizes, and homemade cupcakes were of the highest SSS standards. Kudos to Jackie and Kristen for organizing. If you missed it, well there's always next year...
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-08-2018 at 09:34 AM.

I confess to a "soft grounding" of my own as I approached the right turn into the Redwood Creek channel. I was sailing as deep as I could on starboard, occasionally going wing on wing to clear the entrance. I thought I had room (despite what the chart plotter was telling me), until I looked down to see "3" on the depth meter. Yikes! I did a crash jibe in 23 knts wind and SLOWLY plowed my way back into deeper water.

My first grounding in 20 years sailing the Bay. May it be my last.

Having run aground in Redwood Creek more times than I can count all I can say is welcome to the club.

Our lovely bartenderess, Ashley and her husband Paul invited me aboard their Norseman 400. They'll be heading for Mexico and Chile, soon. Its a very rare thing that I get aboard a cruising boat like that.

wow. Just wow.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"