Thread: Searching for a whisker pole and a logistical problem

Default Searching for a whisker pole and a logistical problem

First the pole:

I'm hunting for a whisker pole in the 13 to 14 foot range to use for poling out my jib when I am too tired to fly the spinnaker. (Based on my fatigue cycle in last year's LongPac I expect to be too tired before reaching spinnaker conditions so this pole may see a lot of use.) If anybody has or knows of something in that size range that they are willing to rent/sell/lend or allow to be stolen I would greatly appreciate it.

And now the logistical problem:

After talking to Larry Conklin (the crane guy in Kauai) and discussing his schedule for prepping the trailer boats for return shipping I have a serious schedule conflict. I absolutely have to return to work on Monday July 23rd and Larry has scheduled trailering the boats for Saturday, July 21st. This means that the boat cannot be consigned to Matson until Monday the 23rd, when I need to be back trapped in a cubicle and meetings in CA. So, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out by consigning Crazy Rhythm to Matson on the 23rd. I will ensure that the boat is fully prepped, buttoned up and ready to go before the end of Saturday. I just can't be there to deal with the paperwork. If any body thinks they can help I am happy to provide reasonable compensation. (One of the most difficult things about making all this happen for me has been arranging the extended absence from work. If only I could hit the lottery and quit...Wakes from dream, shakes head at reality...)

I'll be at the meeting tonight if anyone has ideas or wants to discuss.

Thanks,
    John Simpson
    SC 27 Crazy Rhythm

Hi John -
    I cant help with the whisker pole, but I think I can alleviate your logistical headache.
    I don't know when you spoke to Larry, but I think you have the wrong set of dates.

My understanding is that the plan is to have all "shipping" boats sail around to Nawiliwili no later than Friday 7/13.
    Boats would then be pulled on the 14th and 15th and consigned to Matson on Monday the 16th.

I am given to understand that there was a point where Larry was thinking a week later, but my understanding is that these are the current dates.

The awards banquet is the 14th at NYC... pulling boats the next weekend makes no sense at all. I'm sure everyone would love an extra week on Kauai, but, well, no.

I recommend double checking the dates with LC

Best,
    DH

Thanks Dave. I talked to Larry on May 4th and again on the 6th. (He called me, not exactly sure why since he just discussed the same things we had previously talked about. But it was nice to know he is concerned that he has all the relevant info.) The 21st seemed kind of late for pulling the boats to me, too. Anyway, moving that up a week is a big relief for me. Now I just have to make sure I get there in time. I heard some things last night about staying out of the high...

(from PassageWeather.com) Tough to stay out right now - maybe in another month.
    Name:  SF-HI 051718P.png
Views: 533
Size:  12.7 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-17-2018 at 09:47 AM.

You're scaring me, Bob! Kind of did that in LongPac 2015...

Name:  albatross (Medium).jpg
Views: 421
Size:  158.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    You're scaring me, Bob! Kind of did that in LongPac 2015...

Name:  albatross (Medium).jpg
Views: 421
Size:  158.0 KB
    That photo is very painful to see! If you're bobbing again this year, George & I will motor out, make fast giant circles, and watch you bob faster n slag more.

JB

I can assure you, a couple days after that photo was taken, the ocean looked a LOT more lively. But I have wondered what would happen if the first few days of the SHTP were like the first four days of the 2015 Longpac. That would be agonizing.