Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sailors arriving

So we're sitting here all comfy having just arrived at our guest slip at Marina Village. We spent last night anchored in Aquatic Park after coming up from Half Moon Bay. The view of the beach and Ghirardelli Square on a beautifully clear Memorial Day, as you know, was incredible. So why were we the only boat anchored there? But we did feel a little guilty watching Lee's progress up the Big Sur coast on Morning Star while alternatively looking at the weather he was dealing with and hoping he could just make it to Monterey before all hell broke loose. Today we see from his tracker that he made it safely into Monterey harbor and texted our congratulations. From what I could see, he might be there for a week before being able to proceed. But he texted back "we're just here for a fuel stop, we hope to be in Alameda tomorrow afternoon. What a stud - and to think I have to sail against this guy.

Bill
    sv Dolfin

Welcome to the hood! If you plan on sticking around for a bit and would like to listen to the sea shanties plying their sing-along songs at Quinn's Lighthouse (only on Thursday nights) just let me know and I'll meet you over there for a beer. It's a classically nautical thing to do around here

Good news: Lee on MORNING STAR arrived at Santa Cruz Wharf anchorage last evening about 11 pm. They had battled headwinds, head seas, and head current yesterday south of Pt. Sur, finally doubling that challenge and making Monterey Harbor in mid-afternoon for a quick refuel.

Crossing Monterey Bay was no cakewalk either for MORNING STAR. But it sounds like Lee has his act together. An ascent of the California Coast in spring during NW trades can be a bear. Though Pt. Conception has the rep, it's actually Pt. Sur (and Cape Mendocino) that are the challenges for small craft heading north.

MORNING STAR headed out from their overnight anchorage just east of the Santa Cruz Wharf (20', hard pack sand) about an hour ago.(0900 Wed. 5-30-18.) They are going to give the final 65 mile leg of their delivery to SF a try today. It's breeze on up the coast, 20-25 knots, with higher gusts forecast this afternoon.

I wish Lee a safe passage. But suspect MORNING STAR may well turn 180 and be back in Santa Cruz this afternoon. As we are fond of saying in the delivery business, "best not to leave a good port on a bad day.."
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-30-2018 at 10:34 AM.

As of 2p Morningstar is beating her way up the coast, now a few miles north of Davenport. Doing about 3 MPH. Hoping it goes well..

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    As of 2p Morningstar is beating her way up the coast, now a few miles north of Davenport. Doing about 3 MPH. Hoping it goes well..
    This from Morning Star
    Tracker will be on: https://share.garmin.com/share/LeeJohnson2

Password = M-star7782

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    MORNING STAR headed out from their overnight anchorage just east of the Santa Cruz Wharf (20', hard pack sand) about an hour ago.(0900 Wed. 5-30-18.) They are going to give the final 65 mile leg of their delivery to SF a try today. It's breeze on up the coast, 20-25 knots, with higher gusts forecast this afternoon.
    I wish Lee a safe passage. But suspect MORNING STAR may well turn 180 and be back in Santa Cruz this afternoon. As we are fond of saying in the delivery business, "best not to leave a good port on a bad day.."
    I'm happy to be wrong. At 3pm today (Wed.) Lee and MORNINGSTAR are proving their mettle and earning a stiff drink. 5 hours after leaving Pt. Santa Cruz this morning, MORNING STAR is 16 miles up the line, 4 miles short of passing Ano Nuevo, averaging 3.1 knots overground.

I can see "sheep in the meadow" offshore from where I sit at CBC. Here is the current wind report from UCSC Long Marine Lab, on the coast, 15 miles downwind of Lee. Gusts in red, average speed (mph) in blue.

Name:  Long Marine Lab.gif
Views: 441
Size:  13.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-30-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Yikes. Must have been quite a ride. Morningstar is now safely ensconced at Marina Village in Alameda. As of about 5 or 6am!

Thanks, everyone. And especially, you, Skip. It was very gracious of you to call Wednesday morning. Much appreciated.

Lest anyone missed it, I did not attempt this singlehanded. I was very ably assisted by Bob Michels, a good friend and fellow member of Silver Gate Yacht Club. Bob has served as paid crew on numerous off-shore deliveries between SD and Cabo/Mexican Riviera, and enthusiastically volunteered his help for this delivery. I would not have been able to do this in the conditions we had without his help.

I'll write up a play-by-play in the next several days, but the essentials are: no one was injured, nothing broke, and the crew remain friends.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Photos, too?

Excellent !

Welcome Lee and Morning Star