Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sailors arriving

Default Sailors arriving

This from Dolfin, sailing up from the Channel Islands : “Couldn't have better conditions”

That's great! I hope Bill and Patty are enjoying the ride.

Captain Bob and I are planning to depart Silver Gate Yacht Club on Saturday morning, to start Morning Star's journey North. The conditions might get rather unpleasant before we reach the Golden Gate -- GFS-based forecasts say we'll be fine; ECMWF suggests crash helmets and body armor will be in order.

A question for those with local knowledge: If seeking refuge from NW swell once past Carmel, would you head for Monterey Harbor, Santa Cruz Small Boat Harbor, or Santa Cruz Anchorage? All things being equal, we like anchoring just fine.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

https://share.garmin.com/share/BILLMEANLEY

Well, heck, look at that Dolfin! already bypassing Monterey, going straight for Made In Santa Cruz and the Capitola Boat Club. Maybe ask him via message? Password=SHTP
    He's pretty laconic, though. Will probably say something like: Yup

Dolfin Swims Upstream:
    Delivering Dolfin from San Diego to San Francisco is "kind of" like a qualifier - 425 plus miles and if not completed then no SHTP. But you can use your motor and you better like the sound of it because you will be hearing it a lot. Patty is helping me again so I get to eat well and sleep some. We had planned to anchor at Smuggler's in the Channel Islands tonight after leaving Catalina at 4am but plans were altered by the military who buzzed us off course with their chopper, then hailed us and said they were doing target practice and we were in the way. So no more stops until probably Half Moon Bay on Friday. Getting to the starting line can be the hardest part for some of us.

DolfinBill

Bill: Santa Cruz Harbor offers very good shelter, but call ahead (831-475-6161) or VHF 9 or 16 to inquire re: entry bar conditions/closure. Shouldn't be a problem to get in now though. Santa Cruz anchorage S. of the pier is pretty well protected, and Capitola, a bit further south, is perhaps even quieter, and offers moorings. (Hail “Capitola Boat and Bait” on VHF channel 11 for mooring assignments and any help you might need getting tied up.) I haven't stayed in Monterey, but there's an anchorage and a large marina, a lot closer than Santa Cruz if you're wanting to catch a rest. Good luck! Cliff Shaw, Rainbow

Welcome Bill, Patty and Dolfin!! I wish I were around HMB to give you a welcome in person, but I'm in SoCal until Monday. Please feel free but to stop by the yacht club and have dinner Friday night. Tell them Carliane sent ya and that you'll be racing with me to Hanalei. I'm sure they'd love to hear all about your preparations

Thanks everyone for your support on this passage. We had an ideal weather window so just kept going, arriving in Pillar Point Harbor 6pm yesterday, just 50 hours (and 36 gal of diesel) from Catalina. Cold starry nights, whales, dolphins, other floaty things with fins, flat calm mostly - hope Lee is as lucky on Morning Star. We could have done without the military helicopter in the Channel Islands harassing us without telling us why or responding to our call on 16 or that hard, clanky thing we hit halfway across Monterey Bay (couldn't see it but sure heard it), but otherwise the trip couldn't have been nicer.

Thanks to Jackie for trying to get my communications out (not an easy thing to do) although I'm trying to do better in that department than last time. I sent a message to "racereport" before leaving Catalina over the ham radio (Winlink) but it didn't seem to make it. Apparently I was to use racereporting@sfbaysss.org rather than what the Communications Plan (page 6) says to use. Part of what's so charming about the SSS, like transpac, ssstranspac or transpacific@sfbaysss.org - I guess you just have to use them all and hope one gets through. Or just send to Jackie - that seems work best for me.

From Morning Star:
    Casting off in the morning. Tracker will be on: https://share.garmin.com/share/LeeJohnson2
    Password = M-star7782

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Welcome Bill, Patty and Dolfin!! I wish I were around HMB to give you a welcome in person, but I'm in SoCal until Monday. Please feel free but to stop by the yacht club and have dinner Friday night. Tell them Carliane sent ya and that you'll be racing with me to Hanalei. I'm sure they'd love to hear all about your preparations
    Hi Carliane, At your suggestion, we went over to the YC last night. Very lively and fun crowd, lots of visitors with large name tags and three very cute little triplet girls, maybe 3-4 years old. We had a little rum (not actually enough to break out of my laconicism) and had some great pot pies for dinner. Asked some of the regulars about you, including a lady who looked so much like you she could have been your mother, and they all had good things to say. Probably didn't talk enough about the race but like I said, probably not enough rum. But anyway, thanks for the tip - it's a wonderful, low key club and a very comfortable place.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin

[QUOTE=dolfinbill;20688]Asked some of the regulars about you, including a lady who looked so much like you she could have been your mother./QUOTE]

Oh, too funny. I wonder who that was?! Glad you had a nice time. The HMBYC is a super awesome club with a great group of sailors. And they do absolutely love their sailing. Next, you'll have to visit Island Yacht Club, which is the new one in my life since moving to Oakland. I seem to have started collecting them....