Thread: Rimpac

Default Rimpac

No SHTP sailors should be surprised by possible missile and torpedo launches, live fire, and darkened warships as they approach Kauai. The world's largest international war games, RIMPAC, was announced today and will be taking place in Hawaiian waters June 27-Aug.2.

26 participating nations, 47 surface ships, five submarines and more than 200 aircraft and 25,000 personnel will participate to “exercise a wide range of capabilities and demonstrate the inherent flexibility of maritime forces,” including practicing disaster relief and maritime security operations and complex warfighting, amphibious operations, gunnery, missile, anti-submarine and air defense exercises, counter-piracy operations, mine clearance operations, explosive ordnance disposal, and diving and salvage operations.

"There will be an emphasis on missile improvements with the firing of a Long Range Anti-Ship Missile from an Air Force aircraft. A surface-to-ship missile will be fired by the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, and the U.S. Army will target a ship with a Naval Strike Missile launched from a truck."

Yiii Doggies! Last time I encountered action of this nature, the one-ship Tongan Navy had disappeared, only to be found two days later off fishing.

Too bad the practice of removing plastic from the ocean can't also be a priority for RIMPAC
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-30-2018 at 11:54 PM.

I had a run in with Rimpac on the way from Hanalei to Nawiliwili in 2016. It was raining with low viz and I got a call from CG on 16 to steer away from the US Navy warships. Ok, happy to do that, where the heck are they and I will steer away from wherever that is. Eventually the mist cleared and a destroyer became visible several miles away. I thought it was sorta funny that a ship capable of starting WW3 had to rely on a little CG cutter to shoo away a 30 foot sailboat.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Too bad the practice of removing plastic from the ocean can't also be a priority for RIMPAC
    That would be nice!!

Default Green Flares

In 2002 as I was approaching the Hawaiian Islands, late one dark moonless night, green lights started falling from the sky. I double checked my mental state as well as the liferaft availability. When I got to shore I asked around, apparently it was the military doing high altitude parachute drops into the sea, aka HALO. Pretty impressive. In 2012, two days out of Hanalei I had mystery radar hits on large metal objects that were not using AIS, RIMPAC for sure.

BB