Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking to form partnership in daysailer

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Nice boat, are you going to keep it in dry storage? Santa Cruz would be great.
    Santa Cruz would be great!

According to another guy who has seen the boat up close and personal (I've seen about 50 photographs) the trailer is shot. OK, so I've located a powerboat trailer, 22 feet long, 5,000 pounds capacity, which should carry this just fine with some modifications. Boat + trailer will empty my coffers, and make me put off my haulout for the S-2 7.9 by a couple of months. *sigh* .

This boat will go in the cheapest dry storage I can find that has some security and electricity available while I build the rudder and (probably) overhaul the winches. There's a place in Morgan Hill that I might go to. There's a place 3 blocks from my house which might work out, too. There's no point in paying for storage-with-a-hoist until it's ready to sail.

I'd like to keep it at the TI Sailing Center but they insist on a single-point hoist so there may be some fiberglassing and wood work to do to make that possible. The cold-hard-truth is that I cannot afford both this boat at TI and the S2 7.9 without a partner on this boat. I can afford to pay insurance on it and pay super-cheap dry storage on it, but I can't dry sail it, buy sails etc. etc. So I will need a partner. It's *Possible* that I can ramp-launch it at the Port of Redwood City. It's 1,000 less than my S2 7.9 and some of the Scottish guys ramp launch theirs.

But if I waited, it would almost certainly "go away" to another owner and I'd never see it again.

I've known about the Piper One Designs and the Loch Long One Designs for quite a few years now. I looked into buying the one and only Loch Long One Design in North America about a year and a half ago, but it's a wood boat that's been sitting in a barn, neglected, for 30 years and I don't have the money, skill or patience to deal with it. I gave up on the whole idea of having a quintessentially Scottish daysailer, until POW, three week ago, this Piper appears...in Nevada City of all places. This opportunity will never present itself again.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Holy crap Alan. I must have been drunk! Oh yeah, I was drunk on "just sold a boat". Now if Starbuck sells, I'm going to need rehab. And a boat to sail. Out of TISC.

Red face

While I build the RoG.

50% partnership still available.

Current status:

Boat $600
    Replacement Trailer $500
    Truck Rental to get it down here from Nevada City probably $120
    Total upfront = about $1250....half of that is $625

I'm on the shortlist for a slot in Port of Redwood City dry storage, where I believe there's electricity available. I know there's a hose nearby. $100/month. Estimated insurance is $60 a month. Estimated monthly recurring costs for now are about $80/month. That will go up $15/month after the move to Treasure Island Sailing Center.

Remaining to purchases to get her up and sailing...mainsail, jib, materials to build new rudder, running rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Holy crap Alan. I must have been drunk! Oh yeah, I was drunk on "just sold a boat". Now if Starbuck sells, I'm going to need rehab. And a boat to sail. Out of TISC.
    I'm assuming that what this means is that:

1.) you'd like to be a partner in the boat, but
    2.) you can't commit to doing that until you sell Starbuck

I totally understand. However, the cash register is starting to go cha-CHINNGGG, and I only have so many nickels to pile into it. I can get the boat, put it on a trailer and move it to Redwood City. Beyond that, I'll need a partner. First come, first served. Ideally I'd like two partners for a few years... 33.33% each and it would be *Nice* if the partners were someone I actually knew. However, I can't wait forever to set this up.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Can you post pics of the boat itself? Sistership pics are nice and all, but this boat looks like it needs some work.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Can you post pics of the boat itself? Sistership pics are nice and all, but this boat looks like it needs some work.
    Boat definitely needs work. I'm not hiding it. Here are a mess of pic of the boat.

Piper-One-Design; "Alpha"

The hull is solid fiberglass laid up around 1969-1970. It's solid glass, no core, and has gel coat on the outside. The inside is painted. The boat needs a good hard scrubbing and the gel coat could use waxing. There is essentially no structure inside the boat but some partial plywood bulkheads to rot. There are wooden floorboards, which are included in the sale. They are removed and need sanding and oiling. That's work, obviously.

The decks are plywood-cored. Rotted out decks are the single biggest problem with these boats and many Scottish skippers have opened 'em up and re-cored. Another buyer with whom I'm in regular communication has tapped the decks all over with a rubber mallet and found no soft spots. He says the foredeck is firm. Since the boat has not been in the water for over 20 years, maybe even 40 years, I tend to believe him.

The mast has what I assume is original s.s. standing rigging on it. It's probably never been stressed but it's still almost 50 years old. It will need to be replaced. That costs $$.

There is no running rigging, and if there is, it's completely shot for sure. Gotta buy new stuff.

The single biggest job is that the rudder is ruined. A complete new rudder will need to be made. Also, a rudder shoe will need to be bought. A bronze rudder shoe like this is somewhere between $200 - $400, though I have a buddy who is a really good welder and brazer and maybe....

There are no sails. New sails would cost a lot. Beater used sails can be bought online for around $600. Used sails from the hardcore Scots racing skippers are available, according to several of the class members I'm communicating with.

The front of the trailer is a mess, and will need to be cut off. The supports and center part of the trailer are good and can be mounted on a flatbed, or powerboat trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I'm assuming that what this means is that:

1.) you'd like to be a partner in the boat, but
    2.) you can't commit to doing that until you sell Starbuck

I totally understand. However, the cash register is starting to go cha-CHINNGGG, and I only have so many nickels to pile into it. I can get the boat, put it on a trailer and move it to Redwood City. Beyond that, I'll need a partner. First come, first served. Ideally I'd like two partners for a few years... 33.33% each and it would be *Nice* if the partners were someone I actually knew. However, I can't wait forever to set this up.
    Yes Alan that sums it up. Did I see on another site that you pulled the trigger on this? Congrats and condolences.
    Good luck. It's an interesting boat. I just spent some time on the helm of a wooden 5.5 (similiar full keel, attatched rudder?) and I have to say that would take some getting used to.

I did. Sent the check last week. Now he has to do some DMV stuff...his wife works for the DMV... and cut part of the trailer off and welld in a replacement, and I can bring it down here. I might to up there to get a close look at it in two weeks, and scoop out the leaves, etc.

Incredible. Guess what arrived in the mail yesterday....registration in my name. I now, according to the State of California...own this boat. I'd given up on it, and had given them a deadline of Dec. 1 to get the title squared away!

Now to get some welding done and create little Hull ID patches.
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-20-2018 at 09:43 AM.