Thread: I'm in a Bind, Literally

Default I'm in a Bind, Literally

It is totally my own fault.

When I installed the new lower rudder bushing I purposely left it tight, thinking a little extra friction would let me leave the tiller for a moment without engaging the autopilot.

However during the Farallones race I realized this just won't do.
    The little bit of friction that allowed the tiller to hold position for a few moments translated into more fatigue for me and less "feel" or feedback on the tiller.

The solution is going to be removing the rudder and reaming the lower bushing a few thousandths for a free running fit.

With the added friction I don't think I can get the rudder out while the boat is in the water.

I looked at the hoist in Alameda the other day, and thought this would work nice, but the sign said use only for lifting to and from trailer, and I don't have a trailer or lifting sling/eye.

Unless someone here has another clever idea I will have to bite the bullet$ and haul out one more time to make this right.

Thanks

Couldn't a sling be fabricated with off the shelf webbing, span sets, line or some combination of the three?
    At 5500# dry, you must be close to the limit of the hoist; Once the boat is out of the water, how long will it take to ream the lower bushing and reassemble?
    Could the job be done with a "noon hang", which is usually les$ than a whole haul?
    On the bright side, you'd have a chance to do one more wet sand before the start.

PHRF shows Nightmare is 4,700# but that's still too much for Brickyard Cove's hoist, even if you could get permission.

I agree a noon hangin' at a boatyard (usually arranged for surveys) is your best bet. Do you know anyone at KKMI or Bay Marine?

Maybe have a diver look at it first. You can borrow the big dowel I use to push my rudder out, and between the two of you it might go.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-06-2018 at 09:17 AM.

You might try squirting grease or liquid soap down rudder shaft ....I installed a zirk fitting in my rudder tube above the lower bearing for a similar problem.

I have a free haul out coupon from one of the boat shows (raffle win) at the KKMI yard. It's only good if you buy a bottom paint job, but maybe they'll realize the effort and just let you hang in the sling. I also know someone who does work at the Berkeley boat yard and can see if they'll do a late afternoon lift, then put you back in in the morning. A nice tip and a few 6 packs might help seal the deal.

I would be surprised if you could not get the rudder out with someone in the water pulling and someone else in the cockpit pushing (or worse case dowel + hammering).

I removed my rudder while the boat was in the water, but only by hanging dive weights off it and pulling down while in the water (because of the inherent buoyancy of the rudder). Fun job alone. As was re-installing.

I'd be happy to volunteer for the in-water role if you want to give it a try with your boat.

Tom

Thanks for the replies.

Since I have removed and installed the rudder while the boat was in the once already, I'm not really interested in doing it again.

I scheduled time at Berkeley Marine Center this Thursday for a haul and hang. With a friends help it should be done under an hour.

Excellent, Greg! Hope all goes well! Lots of friends offering to help. What a great sailing club!