Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divisions and SHTP Ratings Posted

Default Divisions and SHTP Ratings Posted

Fleet assignments and ratings are posted!
    getting close now!

https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...C=fl1&TYP=html

DH

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Nice, are the SHTP ratings also to be published, or equivalent handicap times? I've heard that the Jibeset tracker may or may not have a leaderboard with handicap corrections.

Also, what does it mean for a multihull to have a rating of 189?

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Nice, are the SHTP ratings also to be published, or equivalent handicap times?
    The ratings listed on Jibeset are the SHTPR numbers. A PDF of the spreadsheet has been sent to the racers. Can't seem to upload it here. Perhaps it will be added to the "documents" section on Jibeset.

So, looks like I'll need an ICS Delta flag. That's cool. The general meaning is "Keep clear of me; I am maneuvering with difficulty," so I should probably be flying that flag as a matter of course.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Also, what does it mean for a multihull to have a rating of 189?
    The short answer is effectively nothing. If Rainbow had other Multihull competition, it would.

(SEE CORRECTED TABLE BELOW)

Here is the easy viewing version with handicaps in hours. SUCH FAST needs to come in a day and a half ahead of the second to finish to win -- good luck Dave.
    Last edited by pogen; 06-14-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Nice to see it spelled out! Anyone have the algorithm for how long a 144 PHRF boat should take to get there? I guess it's just simple multiplication and division, but I seen to recall this done previously for each boat. Might not want to see the results though. I do remember how bummed I was when pregnant with my son and the due date passed by but he was in no hurry to move along...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Anyone have the algorithm for how long a 144 PHRF boat should take to get there?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Q7b-vHY3Q
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-13-2018 at 03:43 PM.

I think the intent of ratings is that they are valid largely as differentials. Or sometimes not so valid.

One pretty legit thing to do would be to look up the average en route times for Olson 30s and Cal 40s, since there have been a lot of those sailing the race over the years, and then add the handicap difference.

Average O-30 time is 15 days, 7 hrs, and they owe you 27 hours, so you might do 16 days 10 hours.

Average Cal 40 time is 14 days 22 hours, and they owe you 9 hours. Love that rating! Plus, Stan Honey messes up the curve. This would put you at 15 days 7 hours.

Of course this is just an exercise for fun. The wind will help decide. Ratings are also determined based on crewed performance, and some boats are harder to singlehand than others. For example, an Express 37 would be much harder to sail to its rating short handed than a Wyliecat. IMHO.

Racer biographies are up on the website : http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2018/racers/

Much thanks to Christine Weaver for collecting the photos and doing the interviews.

Scratch sheet, now with 2 corrections made.