Thread: Boat Ideas for the Singlehanded Transpac

Default Boat Ideas for the Singlehanded Transpac

I am thinking of purchasing a boat this year to prep for the 2020 Singlehanded Transpac. Something in the 34' to 40' range, cruiser/racer, more comfort than speed trade offs. I would race it to Hawaii in 2020, spend a few months in the islands and then sail it back to SF Bay via the PNW and sell it.

Thoughts on potential boats to consider for this 2 year adventure?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing a boat this year to prep for the 2020 Singlehanded Transpac. Something in the 34' to 40' range, cruiser/racer, more comfort than speed trade offs. I would race it to Hawaii in 2020, spend a few months in the islands and then sail it back to SF Bay via the PNW and sell it. Thoughts on potential boats to consider for this 2 year adventure? Gary
    http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...-2018-TransPac

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

There is a lot of good discussion in the thread Jacky posted.

I bought a Olson 34 with similar intentions -- knowing what I know now, I might have gone smaller, lighter, easier to ship, assym sail, overall less running cost. Like a J/88, or a J/92, or Wyliecat.

Smaller, lighter, easier to ship, assym sail... I know just the boat
    http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...ck-is-for-sale

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    There is a lot of good discussion in the thread Jacky posted.
    I'll second that :-)

You'd probably want to define your purchase budget. Then add $15,000-30,000, depending on how much gear you already have.

From my experience, unless you want to do a lot of boat projects, being opportunistic is preferred. That's the path I followed so to be fully transparent I can't really say much about other approaches. By being opportunistic I mean buying a boat that has been prepared for a similar event. Sometimes some show up here. Someone on this forum send me to the boat I bought.

Seeing that you want to buy then resell you may want to look at boats that have a good following such that selling is easy. There are many boats that don't sell for years ... You'll pay more at the beginning but you're more likely to sell at the end.

I'm no expert by any mean so take this with a grain of salt: for a sail trip to Hawaii, most boat would do, as long as it's been fitted for the trip.

You can also read Chapter 4 here (boat design):
    http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Sin...rdEdition2.pdf

But yeah ... budget?