Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tracker Details

Default Are position reports being published?

Which is all good information on the tracker from Ray.
    Rob's original question prompted me to add a thread which will hold the "As Seen By The Racers" daily reports, both here and on the SHTP Site under position reports.

Not up to the minute info; but what the racers are allowed to know.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 06-26-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks, Ray - the Details Markers -> All Race radio button made the historical track positions available through the tracker. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks much!

- rob/beetle

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Carliane turns hard to port....odd. Hope she's OK.
    It was just a Crazy Ivan. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It was just a Crazy Ivan. No worries.
    On my boat we all those "crazy Alans"... Aaaah, headed back towards Hawaii, again! LOL
    Last edited by AlanH; 06-26-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Several racers are being sucked right by the centripetal force of the High. Joujou, Passages, Double X. Kynntana clearly wanted to put some South in the bank. At least Crazy Left Ivan is more understandable than the Crazy Right move that a boat made in 2014.

I hope Kynntana's satphone bill is not too high at the end -- she is reporting position every 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Several racers are being sucked right by the centripetal force of the High. Joujou, Passages, Double X. Kynntana clearly wanted to put some South in the bank. At least Crazy Left Ivan is more understandable than the Crazy Right move that a boat made in 2014.

I hope Kynntana's satphone bill is not too high at the end -- she is reporting position every 10 minutes.
    Is there a way to tell her through the daily com talk? Once an hour is more than plenty! Hell 2x a day is plenty!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

She probably has the Delorme power wired in to her panel. Or else the battery would have run out by now.

Meanwhile Double Espresso has spent the last 4+ hours drifting NW at a fraction of a knot. Hove to? Damaged? Hope he is OK.

I run Tiger Beetle's DeLorme inReach tracker/pinger on 10 minute intervals when Beetle is moving - the cost is 'included' as I am on a pre-paid monthly subscription service, so no additional charge for all the extra blue spots on the maps. These go out essentially as short burst messages over Iridium and consume very little bandwidth. The inReach will run roughly 4 days at that rate, and I recharge the battery daily - it's just a little USB cord I plug into the unit (which lives in a cradle at the nav station - it remains dry and transmits through the fiberglass).

If there were an incremental cost per spot, then I would set the location reporting frequency to meet what the data receiver would like to have.

I have no idea how tracking costs are being managed by the skippers and Race Committee.

- rob/beetle

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Meanwhile Double Espresso has spent the last 4+ hours drifting NW at a fraction of a knot. Hove to? Damaged? Hope he is OK.
    Or confused tracker. Looks like his tracker ran out of power and he re-started it, intervals are varying from 3-4 hours. My tracker will occasionally decide I'm in a different hemisphere... If a series of pings all show in the same location then the tracker is probably there, otherwise it's difficult to determine where the unit is based on a single location report.

- rob/beetle

I thought the 4 hour interval was selected by the RC because that should let you do the whole race on a single charge. Last time the Delorme was the only approved unit, and there was a mandate that they be fixed to the stern rail. This year Iridium Go is allowed, with possible below-decks install and external antenna, like for a satphone. I don't know. Some boats are at 10 min ping, some at 30, many at 4 hours. I'm sure the billing varies depending on what device/company you have.