Thread: Return Crew for the Trip Home 2018

Default Return Crew for the Trip Home 2018

Hi All,

I am starting this thread as several folks have asked about a crew slot for returning boats. Mark Hebbard is one, for example. POst your needs /wants here.

I'll be looking for 2 crew on Kynntana...big, comfy, 38-footer

Throwing my hat in the ring! I'd love to join someone for the return trip. I'm the current owner of Ericson 35 Ergo which I've been singlehanding mostly in the bay for the past year. I had some thoughts of prepping her (and myself) for offshore, but will likely need (much) more time than the remaining 6 months to be ready for Hawaii :-) and might be looking at a different boat soon.

Quick sailing background: started 3 years ago and went through US sailing bareboat cruising at OCSC in Berkeley, did the two day safety at sea course, crewed on a few coastal passages (SF-LA, SF-Astoria, Oregon), continue to crew on Bay races periodically, bought my boat a bit over a year ago and have been learning, rebuilding, troubleshooting, and sailing since then.

I've shown up to a few SSS seminars and meetups. Happy to meet, chat, and sail with you at any time before departure to see if we're a good fit.

Cheers!
    -Mike
    s/v Ergo
    Ericson 35-2

Quote Originally Posted by saltandthesea View Post
    Throwing my hat in the ring! I'd love to join someone for the return trip. I'm the current owner of Ericson 35 Ergo which I've been singlehanding mostly in the bay for the past year. I had some thoughts of prepping her (and myself) for offshore, but will likely need (much) more time than the remaining 6 months to be ready for Hawaii :-) and might be looking at a different boat soon.

Quick sailing background: started 3 years ago and went through US sailing bareboat cruising at OCSC in Berkeley, did the two day safety at sea course, crewed on a few coastal passages (SF-LA, SF-Astoria, Oregon), continue to crew on Bay races periodically, bought my boat a bit over a year ago and have been learning, rebuilding, troubleshooting, and sailing since then.

I've shown up to a few SSS seminars and meetups. Happy to meet, chat, and sail with you at any time before departure to see if we're a good fit.

Cheers!
    -Mike
    Hey Mike, feel free to reach out to me in July once I've made my way to Hawaii and will be starting to think about the trip back. It's just too far ahead in my temporal horizon to make any definitive plans right now. In the next month or two, I'm also going to be doing some offshore trials to get more practice on the self-steering gear so if you'd like to join me, just send a PM and I'll get back to you.

Default Return crew needed aboard Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Hi All,

I am starting this thread as several folks have asked about a crew slot for returning boats. Mark Hebbard is one, for example. POst your needs /wants here.
    Rainbow is a 36' cruising catamaran, SHTP 2012 race vet, and 30,000 offshore miles logged. Looking for two crew for the return. Berthed in Emeryville Marina. Prefer to meet aboard and go for a day sail. Please call /contact me at 925-285-2070 or csrgone@astound.net Cliff Shaw

Mark Hebbard here. Indeed I am interested in finding a good fit as crew on a boat returning to California from Hawai'i. I've sailed quite a bit on my own boats and have done a few longer trips, including the 2017 Baja-Ha-Ha aboard a 36 footer. We had almost zero drama amongst ourselves, partly due to the fact I take direction well and am pretty level headed, even during a mess. All in all it was a 17 night journey around the hook and up to La Paz from San Diego. During that trip I started to yearn for a longer voyage and am excited to put my name in the hat for this return trip.

I have an open schedule and understand that there are significant variables in play. Proud to say my mother taught me how to cook and my father, a former farmer, taught me how to fix about anything. That said, I know how to operate AIS & GPS, am comfy with night watches, have a lot of experience behind both the fish pole and the fillet knife. Also of note, I have plenty of experience in being in small spaces with big personalities.

Amongst other things, I've ridden a small moto from North Carolina to Alaska and back SOLO...repairing the moto along the way. That trip included 5 straight days & nights...in the rain...in a tent! What else? I've visited almost 40 countries on my own with a backpack, including a 6 month tour of Europe. I've hit all the Americas & Asia too.

If feasible, I'd appreciate the opportunity to meet first and get a plan together but can roll the dice as well. Feel free to reach out me @ mark(dot)hebbard@hotmail(dot)com. (The dots in the email address are periods on both accounts.)
    Last edited by Mark2crew4U; 05-09-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Default Crew for the return trip

Quote Originally Posted by Mark2crew4U View Post
    Mark Hebbard here. Indeed I am interested in finding a good fit as crew on a boat returning to California from Hawai'i. I've sailed quite a bit on my own boats and have done a few longer trips, including the 2017 Baja-Ha-Ha aboard a 36 footer. We had almost zero drama amongst ourselves, partly due to the fact I take direction well and am pretty level headed, even during a mess. All in all it was a 17 night journey around the hook and up to La Paz from San Diego. During that trip I started to yearn for a longer voyage and am excited to put my name in the hat for this return trip.

I have an open schedule and understand that there are significant variables in play. Proud to say my mother taught me how to cook and my father, a former farmer, taught me how to fix about anything. That said, I know how to operate AIS & GPS, am comfy with night watches, have a lot of experience behind both the fish pole and the fillet knife. Also of note, I have plenty of experience in being in small spaces with big personalities.

Amongst other things, I've ridden a small moto from North Carolina to Alaska and back SOLO...repairing the moto along the way. That trip included 5 straight days & nights...in the rain...in a tent! What else? I've visited almost 40 countries on my own with a backpack, including a 6 month tour of Europe. I've hit all the Americas & Asia too.

If feasible, I'd appreciate the opportunity to meet first and get a plan together but can roll the dice as well. Feel free to reach out me @ mark(dot)hebbard@hotmail(dot)com. (The dots in the email address are periods on both accounts.)
    Hi Mark: I'd like to talk with you about the return trip -- will you be at the meeting/seminar tomorrow (Wed May 16)? If not, please call so we can chat. Thanks, Cliff Shaw, Rainbow Crowther 10m catamaran. 925-939-2490 home 925-285-2070 cell (FYI, the mark.hebbard@hotmail.com address bounced back undeliverable)

Default Last minute return delivery captain/crew

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Hi All,

I may have a break that would allow me to do a return delivery.
    Experience: 100 ton USCG w/ sailing endorsement. SF-Panama-NY twice (single or short handed most of the way), plus lots of racing and a number of deliveries.

Best of luck to all of you as you head out the gate today.

If anyone has return trip plans fall through feel free to reach out.

Fair Winds,

Ben Doolittle (916)470-9446