Thread: Avoiding Dock Fees

Default Avoiding Dock Fees

Hello,

I want to travel around the world and I have a few landlubber questions, I'd like to ask.

1. I want to avoid mooring and docking fees. Are there free moorings? Do I anchor offshore and call a water taxi, etc.? How do I find out about this, prior to arriving at my destination. What happens, if I improvise and just show-up at my destination? What resourses are available to find out what to do? What if I have an emergency and need provisions, repairs or medical attention?

2. How soon after reaching shore do I have to report to immigration? Do I always have to report to immigration or is there an exempt border area? Will I have to have the vessel inspected, if I'm not going to use a dock? What is the likelyhood of having the vessel inspected or boarded, if I anchor offshore?

3. How do I keep my vessel from being stolen, once I leave for shore. Is this a rare occurrance? Can I disable the rudder-post, auxiliary engine, etc.? Is there theft insurance for yachts? Will I need it; and if so how much will it cost?

4. Can I visit uninhabited islands, that "aren't" nature reserves, without obtaining permission first? Hows does this work? Again, what happens, if I need assisstance or have to make repairs?

5. What kind of staple foods will I need onboard and what keeps well at sea?

6. If I'm achored offshore, how long can I be away from the vessel? Can I just go spend a week or two at a tourist destination? Is this safe to do?

I suppose that's a lot of questions. I plan on living onboard and want it to be cheaper than renting a house or an apartment, when I'm overseas.

Thanks

A good place to start for information regarding the details of visiting various countries by boat is Noonsite. Most of the questions you're asking are addressed there.

http://www.noonsite.com/

Another good source of information regarding a specific destination can often be found by searching for web logs written by visiting yachts.

- rob/beetle