Thread: In Hanalei Bay

Default In Hanalei Bay

Here is a video of the finish by Philippe Jamotte on his Olson 30 Double Espresso with permission from NorCalSailing.com

https://vimeo.com/278863519

That was great to see! "Bermuda triangle of squalls!" Someone should have lei'd him to distinguish him from the other Belgian vagrants on the beach. Christine, you have a good calming voice like in nature shows.

Jackie : I got an email from you a day or so ago, but "Hal" took it off into cyberspace before I could read it. Please send me your email addr. It has escaped too.
    I have 2 laptops, both candidates for my backup boat anchor! Thanks, Ken

TO SAILORS AND FRIENDS STILL ON KAUAI
    Please help to clean up and organize the Little Yellow House as the Singlehanded Sailing Society exits.
    The owner personally and physically worked to repair it after significant flood damage so it would be ready to receive us once again. We would love to be invited back. MAHALO!

In particular we've lost the white bicycle over the past 3-4 days. If you've used it since Wednesday please return it to the yellow house.

Hey! Where is everybody? The Race is over and nobody but Philippe writes about it? Has everybody gone back to their everyday lives? Well, in the meantime I have lots of photos so I'll post them here until everyone is home safely.

Here are Carliane and Dennis at the kitchen peninsula of Command Central. Were they drinking Mai Tais? You tell me.

Name:  Carliane and Dennis smiling.JPG
Views: 5818
Size:  1.71 MB

Kuhio Highway was closed to everyone but locals just before Hanalei Inn

Name:  Road Closed.JPG
Views: 2336
Size:  244.5 KB

John Woodworth upon arrival. Really his entry into Hanalei Bay provided none of the drama as did the smaller boats that came in during squalls and dark and without motors (JouJou, FUGU, Nightmare). Boarding sailboats while they are still moving, in the dark, from the Sea Squirrel? Much more exciting. John was calm, deliberate. His engine purred. He offered ME libations. We anchored, looked around, sat in the cockpit and enjoyed the moment.

Name:  John Woodworth upon arrival.JPG
Views: 1967
Size:  234.4 KB

Synthia and David on deck at the finish line. The experience is nothing like being on deck at the Golden Gate or Corinthian Yacht Clubs. This spot is where all the sand fleas in Hanalei gathered to munch on ankles.

Name:  Synthia and David at the finish line.JPG
Views: 1785
Size:  460.7 KB

Mike Cunningham, David Herrigel and Shad Lemke excavating/isolating track information from Jibeset

Name:  Jibeset excavation.JPG
Views: 1651
Size:  263.7 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-22-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Default Photographs of Finishes in the Bay

Find here "a big fat photo gallery" from NorCal Sailing. Christine Weaver and Jonathan Gutoff, professional journalist and photographer, respectively, spent two weeks in Hanalei Bay in order to provide coverage of the 2018 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race.

http://www.norcalsailing.com/galleri...l#.W1YHYNVKhrQ
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-25-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Hi Jackie -
    I'm here, lurking about as always. :0
    I've been filling the days "herding" the returning cats... there is a return tracker and a lot of summaries of the SSB reports over on the event site.

good to have you back

DH

I'm following along quietly, as well.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"