Thread: MV Rocinante

Default MV Rocinante

When I was about 200 miles out in roughiish conditions I coordinated passage with MV Rocinante, it was nightime so I could only see her lights. A Brit responded to my radio call and assured me he would keep a sharp lookout and provde me with plenty of clearance which he did. The name of the boat and the responsivenes of the person on watch made me think she might be a yacht vs commercial vessel. I did some searching on Marine Traffic and sure enough, she is in SF and looks like a superyacht. Below is a link to her pictures. Anyone know anything about this boat?

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/pho...86512/#forward

Hi Mike,

She looks like the vessel that was in Hanalei Bay in 2012. Here is a photo of her quarter berth:Name:  QtrBerth.png
Views: 1150
Size:  523.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Hi Mike,

She looks like the vessel that was in Hanalei Bay in 2012. Here is a photo of her quarter berth:Name:  QtrBerth.png
Views: 1150
Size:  523.4 KB
    Hey. That looks a lot like mine. I only have the one side table though.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Hey. That looks a lot like mine. I only have the one side table though.
    I knew I shoulda gotten the F30 instead! It must make better use of space than my F38...

Mike, FYI. I'm pretty sure SV Rocinante is tied up to the side dock at Bay Marine in the turning basin where Balclutha (the tall ship) had been. At least Rocinante was there when I motored with friends around Alameda Island a week ago. She might be getting worked on in one of the dry docks by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Mike, FYI. I'm pretty sure SV Rocinante is tied up to the side dock at Bay Marine in the turning basin where Balclutha (the tall ship) had been. At least Rocinante was there when I motored with friends around Alameda Island a week ago. She might be getting worked on in one of the dry docks by now.
    Interesting, I'm headed down there in the next coupe of days to pick up some parts. I'll check her out.

Shame on me. I was wondering what the hell Rocinante meant. Was that some sort of European royalty or something??

Reading an article the other day on a completely different topic I came to find out John Steinbeck named his truck camper Rocinante. Apparently he car camped his way to California back in the day. And the article further explained Rocinante was the name of Don Quixote's horse.

Exactly why some rich person named their yacht after Steinbeck's camper or Don Quixote's horse is sort of an intriguing question.

http://www.thecamperbook.com/man-sav...teinbecks-van/
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 11-01-2018 at 06:34 PM.