Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Return Trip

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I blame it all on Bob Johnson. Somewhere on this forum he said "You have to do the race and sail back singlehanded to get the full experience" So I did and I did.

I had a crew lined up in Kauai but he bailed at the last minute. Although it pissed me off at the time, I am glad he didn't come.

Jacqueline pulled into her slip last night at around 2300. I tied her up, walked up my dock ramp, turned to take one final look to ensure she was properly secured for the night, and could have sworn I heard her wisper "what's next Boss?".

Then the Real Jacqueline met me at the door with a hug, a kiss and an "I love You", and the story was over.
    Nice. In fact, better than nice.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Might Owl have inadvertently come between the whale and its calf?

I haven't touched land yet, but write this from anchor in Aquatic Park where we dropped the hook about midnight last night local time. Quite the adventure, of which I may write more later. For now, however, it's time to find the nearest fuel dock, as there is no coffee on this boat!
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Welcome back Lee!!

Enjoy your coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Welcome back Lee!!

Enjoy your coffee
    I second that. Welcome to SF! Slight detour from San Diego but I am glad you are here. Look forward to seeing you in person in coming days. Where are you parking the beautiful Morning Star?

I second that. . . . Where are you parking the beautiful Morning Star?
    Thanks, guys. Really glad to be here. I'm at Marina Village Yacht Harbor, Alameda, on A dock, right next door to the Oakland Yacht Club. Flying back to AZ on Friday, and returning in a couple of weeks to sail back to SD. Meanwhile, tomorrow evening, Thursday, 08-16, I'll be at the bar at Oakland YC (watching their Beers Cans Race, I think). You guys and anyone else from this community that wants to join me gets at least one dink on my tab. Cheers!
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Welcome back, Lee. I think races are Wednesday nights at Oakland Yacht Club.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-15-2018 at 10:57 AM.

I blame it all on Bob Johnston. Somewhere on this forum he said "You have to do the race and sail back singlehanded to get the full experience" So I did and I did.
    This is generational - I blame it all on Bill Merrick (RIP) who said the same thing to me. Now you have to pass on the same deception to the next "generation" of aspiring SHTP'ers. It's what we do.

Here is a photo of the view from Bill Meanley's Dolfin, moored off Catalina Island, and an email from Dolfin Bill:

I’m resting here on a very peaceful mooring in Two Harbors, Catalina after arriving two days ago. At the 2/3 part of my passage I was 4 days ahead of two years ago. I ended up 2 days slower, 26 days to Catalina. But it’s all good, I actually was more relaxed and peaceful this time than last. Go figure.

I plan to leave tomorrow morning for the last leg to SD which should include like a 12 hour spinnaker run. Nothing like socal sailing. Here is a photo of the view from my mooring. Hard to leave but there’s lots waiting for me at home. Thanks for everything you and the entire SSS did to make this such an amazing experience. You guys are the greatest!

Name:  Dolfin Bill moored at Catalina Island.jpg
Views: 2967
Size:  196.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Here is a photo of the view from Bill Meanley's Dolfin, moored off Catalina Island, and an email from Dolfin Bill:

I’m resting here on a very peaceful mooring in Two Harbors, Catalina after arriving two days ago. At the 2/3 part of my passage I was 4 days ahead of two years ago. I ended up 2 days slower, 26 days to Catalina. But it’s all good, I actually was more relaxed and peaceful this time than last. Go figure.

I plan to leave tomorrow morning for the last leg to SD which should include like a 12 hour spinnaker run. Nothing like socal sailing. Here is a photo of the view from my mooring. Hard to leave but there’s lots waiting for me at home. Thanks for everything you and the entire SSS did to make this such an amazing experience. You guys are the greatest!

Name:  Dolfin Bill moored at Catalina Island.jpg
Views: 2967
Size:  196.8 KB
    Wow, that looks fantastic. No wonder Bill stops there on the way home.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 08-16-2018 at 06:22 PM.