Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Return Trip

This just in from Nick Salvador, a dock mate of John's:

"OWL is headed into Monterey. Current conditions and rudder have forced him to bear off. He's fine, tired. I'm arranging a guest slip and yard appt. at MBBW."

Meanwhile Iris is at 45 North. Wow!!

Default John's Arrival in Monterrey

John pulled into a slip in Monterrey at 2310 PDT. He had a bit of trouble maneuvering with his apparent rudder damage. He reports it is difficult to steer with the boat at slow speeds. His plan is to arrange a haul out at the local boat yard. Rusty's wife, Ann, was present and we both grabbed lines. After unpacking Rusty was on his way. John and I headed for Monterrey's finest Denny's. John had not eaten much as was pretty anxious to test food on shore. Other than the whale strike that damaged the rudder, and the high seas they experienced in the last 300 miles things went fairly well. The rudder issues kept him awake night and day, worried about its survivability. He had deployed the E Rudder, a Monitor, using it for about a day while they assessed the viability of the main rudder. Once it was realized the ships rudder was holding they retired the E RUdder but kept it set up in case of future problems. He choose Monterrey as an expedient solution, concerned about spending extra time at sea.

Both gentlemen were sporting a good beard. Nice to see these two back on land.

Brian

Welcome home John (or at least close to it) - what an adventure. Hope the haul-out shows not too serious damage to your rudder. Wish I could have been there to meet and dine with you at Denny's, a fine restaurant. Especially when you have been at sea for weeks. Congratulations on successfully dealing with some very challenging stuff.

Bill

Hello All, This is the Whoo in Owl. I am currently in the hospital on IV antibiotics for an infection that I couldn't treat during the three week return passage from Kuaii. Owl is in a slip in Monterey awaiting haulout inspection of damage from whale strike, and repair prior to return to San Francisco.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Glad to hear you are back and safe on land if not entirely well! That is pretty scary. There is a Return War Stories meeting in Alameda next Wednesday if you can be better enough to make it. Sail safe!

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Hello All, This is the Whoo in Owl. I am currently in the hospital on IV antibiotics for an infection that I couldn't treat during the three week return passage from Kuaii. Owl is in a slip in Monterey awaiting haulout inspection of damage from whale strike, and repair prior to return to San Francisco.
    Dang, John. You have quite the stories to tell. Get well soon!!!

Default Perseverance Award?

This from Lee, on his way home to San Diego on Morning Star. I don't know the answers to these very hard questions, nor will I offer dinner at Cafe Dura Mater for them, but they are good questions, worthy of answers. Do you have any?

"Greetings from sea. I am very pleased to be taking the Perseverance Award to San Diego where it will be on display in the trophy case at Silver Gate Yacht Club for the next two years. I am curious about the history of the Award, and the trophy itself. If you discussed this in your book, please refresh my recollection as to where. Otherwise, do you know: Why is 1988 the first year represented? Was there no such award before then, or was there a different trophy? If the latter, does it still exist? If so, is it on display somewhere? And the years 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006 are not listed. Why is that? If you know; just curious.

It was great to see you and the others last night. Thanks again for all you do for the race and the club --er, non-club."

Here's a picture of Lee at his Real Yacht Club.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-30-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Default 2018 Stories about the Return Trip

Here's a video from the other night when we met to listen to return stories. I'm sorry that the video quality is so poor: It was a free camera. Sorry, too, that I pushed the wrong button and lost Greg's stories, which were very interesting, especially as told by Greg. But here it is. I have some more video, but no more today.

https://vimeo.com/288276110

Here's a little video Chris shared with me. I cleaned it up a little, but I wasn't able to offer a shave.

https://vimeo.com/290598723