Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrap-Up seminar?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wrap-Up seminar?

After as many folks get back to the Bay Area as are gonna, what say we have a wrap up seminar? Say, maybe the last week in August?

What worked, what didn't?
    What do you wish you'd done differently?

...and so on. I'd find a way to attend this, if it was set up.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Ok, it appears there is minimal interest in a seminar. How about some posts here to help those of us planning for 2020?

I heard there were a lot of autopilot problems. I'd like to hear the details.

I think the idea is a good one, and we can even plan on re-presenting awards... crate will arrive with them this week.
    Why not attach this to the Drakes Bay awards meeting on 8/29?

Default Putting Boats Together Again

Tom Boussie mentioned how time consuming it was to disassemble JouJou in Nawiliwili in order to prepare her for the container ship passage. In order to remove the mast, all electrical components up there had to be detached. And then there was everything else!

What an ordeal! I never thought of that before. When JouJou arrives here all that must be re-done. Another ordeal! Tom talked about the positive and helpful interaction between Transpackers during that experience in Nawiliwili, which made me wonder whether there is the possibility of replicating it on this side of the Pacific so that: 1/ sailors can more effectively get sailing again ; and 2/ people might be able to share the labor and expertise instead of depending solely upon themselves or expensive marine yards. Knowing our singlehanders, they would try to do it all on their own. But must they?

There is a lot of expertise in this Club and people could listen to stories all at the same time. A hands-on Return Seminar, if you will.

Definitely a good idea! Rob/Tiger Beetle also tried a new thing with the SSB net that Incorporated position reports of returning boats via email. I thought it was great.

In my thank you e-mail to the return feet team I mentioned I thought it might be a good idea to formalize the "return fleet" concept as part of the event. We could have a relevant seminar during the run up to the race, get participants nailed down, and have a defined plan going in. This suggestion is in no way meant to minimize how wonderful the support and comraderie was during the 2018 return. But, I think that knowing you had this support before the start might encourage folks, especially in heavier boats, to consider the race itself.

If the SSS thinks this idea has merit, I will volunteer to assist from the shoreside end. I will be an observer in 2020 and not a participant.

I tthink another thing that might be helpful is a voulnteer list for hauling and shipping prep assistance. Getting your boat out of the water and set up for shipment can be a tough, stressful slog as mentioned above. It might be useful to know who would be availabele and willing to help before the race starts. This could be a part of the overall return program.

Hi Mike -
    I think that all makes a good amount of sense.

The Return Trip seminar is always on the seminar calendar, but admittedly tends to get buried in the pressing needs of getting the boat to the line, and of course TO Hanalei.
    I certainly agree that we should put some extra effort in organizing both the returning boats, and the Matson Armada earlier in the cycle, and generally do what we can to promote the return trip.
    This year turned out to be a good model for returning as a group; we should definitely take note of what worked and what can be better/more thoroughly thought through.

Consider yourself volunteered!
    DH

I'll be Happy to help out too.

The trip back, though difficult in different ways than the race, was better than I anticipated.

My wife is worried I am going to sign up for 2020 !!?!!

Dennis Maggard s/v Pamela, is coming.