Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wrap-Up seminar?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I'll be Happy to help out too.

The trip back, though difficult in different ways than the race, was better than I anticipated.

My wife is worried I am going to sign up for 2020 !!?!!
    BTW Greg, I am in awe of you doing the return with an outboard and limited fuel. Holy cow!! I burned through 80 gallons of diesel during the return, I feel like a slacker compared to your effort. I am pretty sure you were carrying some of those Red Vines

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Is there consensus that 8/29 is a good date for this? What say, SSS Board Members?
    I think a wrap up is a great concept. 8/29 works.

I would suggest a panel of return-ees and a interviewer to coordinate a topic list.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post

I would suggest a panel of return-ees and a interviewer to coordinate a topic list.

Brian
    I'm happy to participate, too. Ditto on what Mike said about being impressed with Greg and the limited amount of fuel! And also what Greg said about the return being more enjoyable than he had anticipated.

Default Little gear breakage on board Beetle

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    I'm happy to participate, too. Ditto on what Mike said about being impressed with Greg and the limited amount of fuel! And also what Greg said about the return being more enjoyable than he had anticipated.
    I was intrigued at the reports of significant gear problems across the fleet, both during the race as well as on the return trip.

On board Tiger Beetle I had zero gear breakage on the passage from Tahiti to Oahu, and the single (maintenance) issue on the run from Kauai to Neah Bay was changing out the alternator belt. Other than that, everything on the boat worked properly. I do not know if that is because Beetle is being continuously sailed and therefore maintained, if I've swapped everything that breaks with something that doesn't (just a matter of fact in the cruising world), or if I'm not pushing the boat hard and therefore stuff doesn't break as a result (another artifact of cruising vs racing).

I was very pleased the standing rigging, replaced in Oahu, handled the return trip well and did not require re-tuning mid-ocean to handle stretch. The rigging is dyform which doesn't stretch much relative to 1x19, and I'd loaded it up off Waikiki a half-dozen times on tuning runs, and again checked it following the overnight run from Oahu to Kauai.

The number of autopilot failures on this SSS TransPac seemed significant, far more than I would have expected. Good thing folks had backup(s) to engage and keep their boat moving forward. I did have an Alpha Spectra ram failure on the run from Puerto Vallarta to Nuku Hiva, turns out that was an issue I introduced in the wiring (and have since altered the connection mechanism and that problem cannot happen again - soldered connections are necessary for systems that observe resistance, screw-terminal blocks not allowed!).

I"d be interested to see learn more about the gear issues, particularly autopilot problems, at a wrap-up seminar.

I"m also interested in how folks thought the radio/email net worked for the return trip. From what I saw, the boats with metered bandwidth (SailMail, WinLink) were ok with the radio net recap emails but could not handle multiple emails from individual boats due to the metering. Boats with unlimited (or easy) email connections (Iridium GO, perhaps other mechanisms) had no issues.

- rob/beetle
    Last edited by tiger beetle; 08-12-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    From what I saw, the boats with metered bandwidth (SailMail, WinLink) were ok with the radio net recap emails but could not handle multiple emails from individual boats due to the metering. Boats with unlimited (or easy) email connections (Iridium GO, perhaps other mechanisms) had no issues.
    I used Winlink to send and receive emails and had no problem with metered bandwidth (whatever that is)

Brian
    It is likely I will be in Alameda on the 29th, and if so will be there. I will be happy to share what I dare say is the definitive list of "Rookie Mistakes" in the race -- i.e., hard-won knowledge that will be essential for any future entrant looking to maximize chances of winning the Perseverance Trophy. And I have some thoughts on the return trip, too.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Brian

I'll be there Wednesday -- looking forward to seeing everyone. Cliff, Rainbow

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

So Wednesday 29 August.

Time?

Place?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    So Wednesday 29 August.

Time?

Place?
    "Sources say" it's at Island YC at 7:30 PM.

Dennis Maggard s/v Pamela, is coming.