Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wrap-Up seminar?

I'll be there too:-)

yes, rumors are true - tomorrow night at IYC.
    I'm told we'll have a bartender.
    and Drakes Bay Trophies!

I am working on getting a webcast set up. having some challenges with a change in employment, but will post a link shortly

DH

DH

I'll bring my video cam and make a vimeo of you all.

Hi All....Riff Rider here...I'd love to get together for chit chat or formal debrief if a date gets set.

Here's my presentation for tonight, assuming we get to present anything

https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Hi - definitely wrapping up tonight at Island Yacht Club in Alameda at 7:30 - directions are online. Doesn't look like the tech is going to work as desired for remote involvement if you can't make it, but we might be able to have a skype session of sorts. It won't be ideal, but stay tuned to this thread and we'll post info if we can get something to work for remote access. Thanks!

I want to be there...want to a lot, but I left work at 5:20 and I hadn't even gotten to the turnoff from 101 to Highway 92 - the highway to the San Mateo Bridge, by 7:00 PM. It took me 45 minutes to get from Stanford to 101.

The only way I can make it to an SSS meeting is to take half a day off work and come over at about 2:00. Frustrated, here...very. F this S.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I want to be there...want to a lot, but I left work at 5:20
    #MeToo. I hit 237 at 5:30, total parking lot. I had to get into work this morning , and just could not face spending 3 hours in the car, so I bailed. Sorry I was not there.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I no longer have any meetings I absolutely have go to, but it has become clear to me at least that having mid-week evening meetings has become untenable for many of us. The Club may want to consider having these on weekend nights instead.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    I no longer have any meetings I absolutely have go to, but it has become clear to me at least that having mid-week evening meetings has become untenable for many of us. The Club may want to consider having these on weekend nights instead.
    This exact thought occurred to me as I was zooming back south on highway 280. It took me 25 minutes to get home from where it took an hour and a half to get to, by the "most direct route" n highway 101. Going up 280 instead of 101 to get to 92 to get to the bridge wouldn't have helped, because the backup from the 101-92 exchange went clear up the hill to the College of San Mateo turnoff.

A month ago more-or-less I braced myself, and went to an Alameda City Council meeting regarding the Alameda Marina. I left work at 4:30 PM...got to the Alameda City hall at quarter to 8:00 PM. That meeting lasted until well after midnight and I was home in 65 minutes.

The truth is that I simply can't go to SSS meetings, if they're going to be in Alameda on weeknights starting at 7:30. I would have to take half a day off, or three hours off work and get over the bridge before 3:30 to make it without going through traffic hell..

As is stands right now I have my eyes fixed on SHTP (possibly a doublehanded Pac Cup, but probably SHTP) in 2022. Bay Area traffic will only get worse. v It CAN'T get worse from 4:30 - 7:00, it's total clog right now, so what will happen is that the clog will expand to 4:00 - 8:00. There's no way I will be able to make it to the SHTP seminar series unless I retire from my job (which I might) by then. But that means I'll hit the line and not really know the other skippers and as we all know, it's the PEOPLE that make this race what it is.

I would like to get on board with Pogen and suggest that it's time to start thinking about how to re-make / re-think the SSS meetings/seminar series. Skippers can register for all the races online now so that means we don' t have to make it to the regular meetings. Yeah..well, OK. I suppose. The "Good Old Days" of the late 90's and early 2000's where I'd drive over to the OYC, get a beer, and hang out late talking to friends from the SSS are over. All Hail the New World of technology and traffic. There may not be a real answer to this, in terms or the regular meetings.... But seminars and special meetings like this wrap-up... it really sucks if we can't even get to these. The answer MIGHT not be "more technology"...It might be, or it might not be. I don't know. The answer might be more weekend "sail-ins" combined with seminars. Or the answer might be "Too effing bad, leave work early, then.." I don't really have an answer, but when the SSS has members with jobs who live in the Bay Area and they can't actually attend meetings any more and hold a 9-5 job, there's a problem.
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-30-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"