Thread: Things change

Default Things change

It used to be that I, and others that were SSS "regulars" made it to nearly all the SSS meetings in Oakland. I'm thinking back in the late 90's through the early 2000's. At that time, I knew at least by sight and usually a lot better than that, nearly every SSS member.

Now, the expanding Bay Area traffic situation has completely changed all that. Many of you know Max Crittenden, aka "Critter" on the forum. Max and I...well, until he moved to the desert....lived in the same town on the SF Peninsula. We carpooled to the 2017 Three Bridge Fiasco meeting (I think!) and both of us commented on how horrific the traffic was. It took over two hours to get to the Oakland YC from Menlo Park, and we barely got there in time for the 7:30 meeting. It was the first SSS meeting I'd been to in two years, ditto for Max.

When it was an hour and a quarter to get to a meeting, I'd go. That's what it took, back in the early 2000's. There was some stop-and-go but basically I just drove over the San Mateo bridge after work and it was fine. Hell, I'd go sometimes even when I didn't have a boat! I have fond memories of listening to Marion McPartlands Piano Jazz show on NPR, on the way home. Now, it's just not worth it. Two and a half hours of stop and go hell, to attend a 90 minute meeting, when I could register online? It doesn't make sense. The end result of that is that I don't know an awful lot of the guys and gals in the SSS any more. The ones I know are "old" members who've been around for a decade or more, of folks who come to the cruise-ins.

I knew this, but it was just pounded home really hard yesterday when I realized that the forum user "jamottep" is Philppe Jamotte of Double Expresso who just did the SHTP. I know that it seems crazy but I honestly did not know that until yesterday afternoon. Maybe I wasn't paying attention or something. I dunno.

It's a brave new world, or something. We absolutely can learn a lot through our online interactions, but I sure miss being able to get to know you all face-to-face.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Alan, I could have a twin/clone! I used to get down from Santa Rosa for every SSS meeting even if I wasn't sailing that particular race. But the Richmond Bridge became a barrier. several years ago. Suddenly the San Rafael offramp backed up onto Highway 101. And there's still 2 miles to the bridge. If I really needed to be at the OYC I'd suffer the stop 'n go traffic across the bridge and all the way to the Alameda exit. And then the surface streets became clogged as I approached the Posey Tube. Several times I waited my time until the final San Quentin exit and did a u-turn back home. It would be after 8:00 or later before I'd get to Alameda. And yes, I'd listed to the late Marion McPartland show driving home. I miss seeing my old sailing friends at the meetings, but I have to leave 3 hours early in order to get there. I have a ton of shirts and several trophies sitting in storage (or donated to Goodwill). I'll be there for the HMB pre-meeting because I need to make at least one this year. Maybe I'll see you there? Pat

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I'm afraid I also quit attending all be the most important meetings when the rush hour drive time from the south bay went from 70 minutes to 110 minutes.

Takes me 2 1/2 hours to get to Alameda from my home in Arnold when traffic is flowing.
    If I want to be there I make it happen.
    Of course, things change

My "normal" travel time is about an hour and half. My post above adds about 3 hours to that. So I need to start out about 4+ hours early to ensure arriving in Alameda in time. Of course I often arrive early with nothing to do, but at that time of the day it's stop and go traffic from San Rafael to Alameda most of the time, and if I want to get there. . . . . By the way, it cuts into beer can racing, too. I used to sail in the RYC canners and even the EYC races, but again that means crossing the Richmond Bridge. Works the opposite for my Tuesday Nite SYC races. Crew from the East Bay finds it difficult to get across to the Marin side.

There was a time in my life when I would do a least 1 week night sail a week. I worked in Emeryville and the boat was in Richmond. I would invite a bunch of coworkers to join me. I loved those evenings. Folks just quit coming because takes so long to get out of Emeryville now. Grrr.

Chris King
    Puffin
    Alden 44

Hi, It has gotten a lot better since they opened the emergency line eastbound on the Richmond Bridge 4-7 earlier this year. Why they did not do that years ago and why they don't do that in the other direction as well- I do not know. Getting to Alameda from the city is still pretty bad. Cheers Jan