Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spadefoot

Default Spadefoot

Most of you are probably familiar with spadefoot the carbon fiber Schumacher 28. The keel was redone by Jim Betts and I bought her hoping I would be able to lift the keel to get In to my mooring on a regular basis. While this is possible it's a pain in the ass. I have also had the rudder gudgeons reinforced with 4 layers of cf.....there is tons of gear. 3 aps, some 2017 spins ...newish Main and jib...2 extra mains a jib top, ais, etc etc ....email me about all the gear....The traileris good. It's a bit of a transpac weapon in right hands. 35k. She's in RI now but being limited to top half of tide not gonna work longer term.

ok - i may end up sailing it next season but who knows....want to talk about a partial trade for one of the 2 figaro 2's in SF?

lets talk - price can be 35k delivered left coast... of course i will have to pay storage soon so don't be shy. I'd like to see more pics of the new ragtime too....

hasta

Please post contact info or connect with me by private message. Thank you.

Been out of country for Abit replied to variouspms today ..still for sale at this point .

Cool boat. I was not familiar with Spadefoot. The design looks like an Alerion. And I'm guessing she's got some stories to tell about her wandering days. Is this the same boat: http://www.svshearwater.com/?p=1941

Spadefoot has a lifetime of stories to tell. She's a Schumacher design but is more like an Antrim 27 than an Alerion (light displacement, lifting keel, etc.)

Was Spadefoot berthed in Monterey, years ago? I remember coming across a boat that sure looked like a Schumacher boat, but was a tich bigger than an Express 27. It was clearly a one-off.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I don't think so. It was a custom build for Dick Horn, our long-time local US Sailing measurer (and RYC member). Dick is a retired math teacher and the boat was originally named After Math. It was later sold to a buyer in the PNW and then Justin and Chris Wolfe bought it, taking it to Texas. You can pick up Spadefoot's story on their website, linked above.

There was another Schumacher 28 that was home-built and is now in the San Diego area. That may be the boat you saw in Monterey.

There is great info including a recent gear list on sailing anarchy. heres a v recent gear list from a month before I bough the boat:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...he-salish-sea/

Jim Betts did the keel repair - the keel was supported by the trunk and a 1/2 steel pin that was not backed...a pic of the pin and the damage to it can be seen here
    http://www.svshearwater.com/?p=1941

the keel is now supported by 2 1 inch steel pins backed by massive composite seats so there is no pivot point - that was really the flaw in the design (which took 15 plus years to present itself after the boat had gone to hawaii) its pretty darn strong now but the offshoot is that it takes a bit too much time (10 to 15 minutes) to get the keel up and down and so for going up my alleyway which is 5 feet at dead low the boat is restricted to certain parts of the tide....I had hoped to be able to pop her up and down but I dont think thats what you want to do. Do you want to go to hawaii single or DH.....I think then that you should have this boat. Here's a vid of that trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC3cgp78mjg

its shrink wrapped now - stored for the winter with all the gear in my garage. I'd like to get her back to the West Coast - she is a downwind flyer at heart being so light (3250 with light gear)

still available - tho i am prob unavailable march and april - climbing - so wont be able to help then. Just a heads up.