Thread: Seeking advice for my first time at the Wooden Boat Festival. . .

Default Seeking advice for my first time at the Wooden Boat Festival. . .

It looks as if the planets will align this year to allow me to attend the the Festival in Port Townsend this year.
    I have been to PT several times recently, and I would like to relocate somewhere between there and Port Angeles someday.
    In 1981 I made one of my largest mistakes there, by proposing to my first wife in a fancy Bed & Breakfast, which seems to be the town's other industry besides boats. The Kelly art deco lighting display at Vintage Hardware & Lighting should not be missed.
    One of my challenges this time, is to take the two empty growlers sitting in my shed back to the Brewery that have missed going on the last two previous trips to be refilled.
    Do I need to stay all three days?
    Would one day let me see most sights?
    Are there any must sees or dos?

IMHO, the best time to visit PTWBF is Thursday and Friday when the crowds are non-existent (Thurs.) and small (Friday.) Thursday is fun to watch the fleet enter Point Hudson, and get tied up. That evening's chowder fest at the tent is pretty much just boat owners and guests like you. Friday there is still room to walk the docks and visit aboard. Sat. and Sun. things get crowded on the docks. Saturday morning there is a fun Farmer's Market a 10 minute walk uphill.

Also worth visits are walking the docks and boatyard at Boat Haven Marina at the other end of town, as well as a hike out to Pt. Wilson Lighthouse when the tide is out. It's 1.75 miles one way via the beach from Pt. Hudson to Point Wilson, or .5 mile from the end of the road parking lot. Just watch out for the local deer that seem to be everywhere.

Down the road at Port Hadlock, it's fun to visit the two adjacent campuses of the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding, and have a picnic on the white sand beach. Unfortunately, the Ajax Cafe is closed.

Getting a preview on Thursday and avoiding crowds on the weekend sounds pretty good.
    The boatyard is fun; nothing around here prepared me for the size of the travel lifts they have there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Intermission; 08-14-2018 at 09:45 AM.

A few years ago when we were up there, Joan and a girlfriend walked out on Limantour Spit while I and friend "Greg" t0ured the show. She said it was worth it.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    A few years ago when we were up there, Joan and a girlfriend walked out on Limantour Spit while I and friend "Greg" t0ured the show. She said it was worth it.
    Hi Alan,
    As Limantour Spit is at Drakes Bay, could it be Joan walked Dungeness Spit, near Sequim, 30 miles west of Port Townsend by car?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Probably walked the beach from Point Hudson to Fort Worden......? Worthwhile but watch the tide

I really enjoyed the Wooden Boat Festival! It made "Strictly Sail" look sick.
    The highlight for me, was participating in the standing ovation that the crew of Team Sail Like A Girl got after describing their race.
    The room was packed with people sitting in the aisles, standing around the room and spilling out in the hall.
    My faithful dog and I, made it home after a seventeen hour and ten minute drive, but with I-5 closed, we had to cut over to the coast and come down 101.
    While I appreciated missing the crowds on the weekend, I will need more than one day next time just to see everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Hi Alan,
    As Limantour Spit is at Drakes Bay, could it be Joan walked Dungeness Spit, near Sequim, 30 miles west of Port Townsend by car?
    **facepalm** Yes, that's right.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"