Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good News, Bad News

Taking assistance from the Coast Guard in 2004 fundamentally changed who I am, and I didn't go through anything like what you just did. You won't be the same person that you were, the day before the winds started to build. I know I'm not.

RESPECT, Sleddog.... and heartache, too. If you need anything I can help with, it's yours. PM me.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Mark,

You've been in my thoughts since Synthia's first post about you and Wildflower. I had a conversation with Sara, my wife, about it this morning and she said two things. "I hate that race." and "He made a courageous decision." Sara is one of only a very few people I know, sailors and non-sailors alike, who really understands what can happen when you're sailing around out there all by yourself and that while you may be the only person on the boat, you're not alone.

If we're lucky, when we go offshore we take along a responsibility to the people who love us to come back. If we're really lucky, we know that. We're all very glad that you're lucky and back.

Bill Merrick

Thank you Skip. I cannot imagine how hard that must have been to write.

In addition to your well-written and detailed account, the photo from the ship (with the wave about to break over Wildflower) portrays very clearly what you were dealing with.

What a testimony to your preparation and seamanship, and your willingness to seek out and accept the advice of those who could best provide it.

If there is anything that I can do, or SSS can do, to help get things back together I hope you will let us know.

I'm sorry I got the part about the pan pan wrong, Skip. Thanks for telling us how it really was. My heart is broken over your loss. Be well.

LaDonna

For anyone who met Alicia and Alfredo aboard the Rafiki On Verra, they're safe & sound in Richardson Bay after going through the same gale.

When I think about all the help Skip has given me and so many others, it makes it even harder to read about the loss of Wildflower. Couldn't King Neptune have pointed his trident elsewhere? Well, I guess the important thing is that Skip is safe and sound and will sail again!

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Skip,
    J and I have had lumps in our throats since hearing of yours and WILDFLOWER's plight. So good to hear you're now safe and amongst friends and family. The synergy of you and WILDFLOWER both amazed and touched us dearly in Hanalie, and while maybe gone, we have the spirit of WILDFLOWER ingrained in our memories.
    Best to you and New Beginnings!
    C+J
    Last edited by ChrisH; 09-04-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Skip:
    Incredible. We're so happy to hear you're back safe. Thank you for sharing your story...WILDFLOWER will always be in our hearts.
    With Love,
    Ruben & Robbie

Hi Skip,

We are so glad you are back in California safe and sound. Also very glad to have gotten the chance to visit with you on Wildflower in Hanalei and to get to know her just a little bit. She lived a full life, and you must miss her very much. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Hope to see you at the post-Tree,
    Christine and Jonathan

Hey Skip!

Tremendous courage to let go.

Wildflower will always be remembered rocketing across Monterey Bay and many other bodies of water with grace and beauty and a MISSION.

Glad to have you back home. NEW BEGINNINGS!

I believe.

Scott Johnson