Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Good News, Bad News

Skip:
    My heart goes out to you for having to leave Wildflower. I can only imagine how I would feel having to do the same to my boat. Must have been pretty tough.

Losing to you, and getting to know you, was the highlight of my summer.

Bye for now.....Jim

Quote Originally Posted by haulback View Post
    Skip:
    My heart goes out to you for having to leave Wildflower. I can only imagine how I would feel having to do the same to my boat. Must have been pretty tough.
    Losing to you, and getting to know you, was the highlight of my summer.
    Jim
    Jim,
    I too enjoyed our comraderie, companionship, and expeditions on land. Sharing sunrise coffee aboard HAULBACK at Hanalei was always a delight. I don't know we solved any world problems. But it was sure fun trying.

~skip

On board 'Nereida' when possible - in S.Africa just now

Default Wildflower

Skip
    I just got to read your story - I'm so very, very sorry. What a painful decision for you to have to make. It'll take a long time for the pain to die down - but your happy memories of times on Wildflower will see you through, I'm sure.
    I feel priveleged to have been able to sail on Wildflower in Hanalei & I'm so glad you're safe and sound - and managed that rope ladder!

Jeanne
    ("Nereida")

Skip, my deepest sympathies on the loss of your Fleur. I am so happy you are safe and sound. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. It was a treat to be able to sail with you this summer and I will remember it forever, Al

Dear SHTP'ers
    In answer to some questions raised on a different Forum:

What WILDFLOWER was doing out there was what she was designed and built for. In this day and age of bigger is better, in 1975, influenced by the stories and my sailing aboard solid little ships like SOPRANINO, TREKKA, SPIRIT, RENEGADE, and JESTER, I decided to build a small, safe, and cost effective performance cruiser. Like many dreamers in those days, I wanted to voyage.

Over the next 34 years, WF and I voyaged over 100K miles around the Pacific Rim, as far south as NZ and far north as AK, including 6 times to Hawaii and return. We regularly sailed together in the Gulf of the Farallones and off Santa Cruz, one of the West Coast's roughest patches of ocean.

Wind speed is not an issue for a well found boat. It is the height, period, and steepness of breaking waves that can damage.

When I left my ship, despite being swept for three days by the tops of cresting and breaking waves I estimated to be upwards of 30-35 feet in height, WILDFLOWER was in one piece. The bilge was dry, the rig and sails intact, the batteries charged, the engine available.

That was one thing that made it such a difficult decision: why leave my home when she was floating and undamaged? It would have been an easier call had we been broken.

WILDFLOWER and I were a strong team together. As I purposely built her with extra layups and thicknesses, stringers, oversize mast and rigging, full skeg, dacron sails, etc. she did exactly what I had hoped: was stronger than I am. I've been sailing all my life (63), racing offshore for 54 of those years, including Fastnets, Hobarts, 28 Transpacs, etc. I know what a broken boat looks like.

Nevertheless, every time I go to sea, I learn something new. GRIB files and QUIKSCAT are not infallible, and predicted windspeeds and direction can be off by as much as 25% . Diffuse wave trains can combine.

For years, I carried a 12' diameter parachute sea anchor, as well as three drogues and tire. What I learned by practicing with the sea anchor during those years: it is wave and boat specific. The sea anchor is better suited in gale and storm conditions for a heavy displacement, full keel, deeper forefoot such as TALEISIN as she makes slow leeway 45 degrees off the wind. For a fin keel half tonner like WILDFLOWER, a parachute sea anchor proved more dangerous in practice than effective.

As we celebrate WILDFLOWER, her legacy will be what we can learn and share with each other. The power of the ocean can be an awesome thing.

________/)_____________________

Hi Bob (Johnson,)

You are correct that an above decks tiller pilot is vulnerable. Like you, I had a full length rudder tube, and no intention of cutting that to install a below decks unit.

Nor did I have the power to supply a more robust below decks unit. For 30 years I had always used the SAIL-O-MAT windvane in windspeeds above 10 knots and boatspeeds above 4 knots, where it was very powerful.

It was a new experience for me that the windvane would not steer well under bare poles in a breaking sea. But I did know that the windvane oar would potentially foul a drogue line.

Using my little Auto Helm 1000+ tiller pilot in these conditions was not originally intended. That it steered for three days in these conditions is a real credit to modern technology. Would the tiller pilot have continued to steer for another three days in those conditions? I don't know, and you have hit the crux or possible weakness in my setup.

I don't know the answer to your question for a small boat. POLAR BEAR and others seemed to have robust setups. Maybe someone else can offer their opinion.

_____________/)_/)_____________^____________

There was no ultimate deciding factor in leaving WILDFLOWER. It was a combination of growing mental and physical fatigue; knowledge that if/when things went south, they would do so in a very short time with little chance of rescue. Also, as mentioned, it was not just my life that was on the line. Our family situation back at home dictated that I not go missing at sea.

If there was one thing that tipped the scales, it was the potential for disaster that would be the result of one of the truly massive waves breaking onto WILDFLOWER in a direct hit, if she were stopped in a broached situation with a compromised tiller pilot. The result would certainly have been either 1) the boat would have been rolled, and if I was on deck, I would have either been washed off to the end of my tether, or drowned while the boat was upside down. And/or 2) the weight and force of the wave crashing onto the boat would have crushed the deck in, as happened to DAISY.

As I half seriously told my partner, the thought of drowning in cold water was not appealing at the time. Better to drown in warm, tropical seas.

________(\_____

Sailing into the area of a forecast gale certainly takes some confidence and preparation. I had previously been in many gales and storms at sea, including the '79 Fastnet Race storm as skipper of IMP.

In six previous return trips from Hawaii with WILDFLOWER, I had encountered similar gales in the same area I call "Gale Alley." Gale Alley entends approximately from Cape Blanco, Oregon to the Gulf of the Farallones, and westward 300 miles.

As professional weathermen will attest, Gale Alley has the highest incidence of summer gales in the North Pacific Ocean. Why this is so is subject to analysis beyond scope here. Basically, the pressure gradient in Gale Alley is compressed between the East Pacific High and the heat induced low pressure over Central and Southern CA. This steepened gradient can remain for days. And a "jet" of wind and wave is driven southward off the Oregon/California Coast

I felt confident enough in the boat and my abilities to again plan to cross Gale Alley on this return passage. That things were stronger than planned is just one of those things that happen when you go to sea.

The size of boat and number of skilled crew is certainly a factor in successfully weathering conditions like we encountered. A long-standing rule of thumb by those who have run tank tests is that gale generated breaking waves of a height equal to or exceeding the beam of the boat, can roll a boat positioned beam on to such seas. (WILDFLOWER's beam = 9.5 feet)

The breaking seas we encountered caused a stout Robert Perry designed 42 footer to also run off under bare poles. A bit further north, the seas holed and sunk the port ama of DEFIANCE, a well found 45 foot Norm Cross trimaran also returning from Hanalei. They were assisted by the CG and a container ship, and safely made SF.

But size of boat, and crew number and ability, does not guarantee success in weathering gale and storm conditions at sea. The '79 Fastnet Race Storm had waves of similar height and steepness that I was encountering.....In the '79 Fastnet Race, out of 303 well prepared and manned entrants, 100 boats were knocked down 90 degrees. 90 boats were rolled further than 90 degrees. 18 boats were rolled 360 degrees. And 5 boats were held inverted from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

It was this knowledge of what WILDFLOWER and I were encountering that helped lead to my sobering and heart rending decision. My dear and loving sister would have killed me if I had died at sea.

The water temperature was 62 degrees, plus or minus a degree. If there is a next time, I would also carry a survival suit to supplement the liferaft. WILDLFLOWER's small cabin was already filled with survival equipment, including all ISAF Safety at Sea Category 1 equipment. (4 man liferaft, flares, EPIRB, ditchbag, Iridium Satphone with 500 minutes, inflatable PFD, SSB and ham radio, etc.)

The amount of time that MSC TORONTO diverted off course, and lost during my transfer, was "insignificant," according to Capt. Hruza. We arrived in Long Beach well ahead of schedule.

Apologies for the rambling, but hope these details shed a little more light on our situation.

As a traditional Old Sailor's Prayer says:

From Rocks and Sands
    And Every Ill
    May God Preserve
    The Sailor Still.

~skip
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-10-2008 at 05:15 AM.

Skip,

I don't believe that we have met, nor have I ever seen Wildflower. I did buy some sails from your brother a few years ago in anticipation of participating in the '04 Single Handed Transpac. I didn't make that race, but did use the sails in the '06 SHTP and to return Hesperus to the Pacific Northwest in '07. I was very sorry to read of the loss of Wildflower, I honor your seamanship, and I applaud your willingness to share your story.

As I am sure you know, there has been a long going debate in the nautical literature about storm tactics. Some sailors, for example William Albert Robinson ("To the Great Southern Sea") and Bernard Moitessier, getting inspiration from Vito Dumas ("Cape Horn, the Logical Route") advocate running off before wind and seas. Although Varua and Joshua were much larger vessels than was Wildflower, as I read your narrative, you adopted roughly the same tactic (you, however, used a drogue off the stern while they didn't). You mention that you have experimented with the use of sea-anchors, off the bow I take it. You suggest that such a tactic doesn't work as well for light fin keeled vessels such as Wildflower as it does for heavy full keeled deep forefooted vessels. I wonder if you think the tactic could be developed to work with boats similar to Wildflower. If it could, it seems that the crew could ride out gales such as the one you were in, get the rest they need and not have to worry (so much) about rounding up and being overwhelmed should the auto helm fail. Do you think that a sail could be rigged to help keep the stern down and the boat pointing into the wind and seas? Perhaps a storm jib could be hanked onto the backstay and sheeted forward to the centerline. I used my storm jib in that way, at the bow, to help keep the bow of Hesperus down and pointed at Hawaii after I lost my rudder in the '06 SHTP. I was in very pleasant conditions, I have no idea if it would work in a gale.

Again, I morn your loss, but I'm glad that you made the seamanlike decision and are willing to share your story.

Paul Woodward
    s/v Hesperus

Paul,
    Thankyou for your good wishes. I have studied, both actively and passively, the techniques and results of using a sea anchor. The best literature on the subject is found in the Pardey's Storm Tactics book, and the Drag Device Database.

It is difficult to practice with a sea anchor in coastal conditions, as wave heights and steepness are different from a gale at sea. As you know, proper sea anchor technique does not position the boat bow to the waves. Rather, the boat slowly makes leeway pointed at about 45 degrees to the wave train in its "hove to" position.

There is no magic formula guaranteeing survival of small craft in a storm at sea. The traditional tactics of 1) lying ahull 2) heaving to 3) running with warps or drogue 4) running without warps or drogue all seem to work about equally well. Where the crew and boat are strong enough, there is evidence that active, rather than passive tactics are preferable. (WA Robinson, Moitessier, '79 Fastnet survivors, etc.)

Given the situation we were in, I was trying to be active in crossing Gale Alley, which at that time extended from 44 N clear to the Mexican Border. Whenever the gale would abate enough, during daylight, I would actively try to nudge the boat eastward on its course.

Using a sea anchor would have prevented this attempt at escaping the gale corridor I was in....I have never tried a sail on the backstay. The radar reflector, and SSB insulator would have made it difficult hoisting.

Running before it was the tactic that was dictated in WILDFLOWER's case. Except for my being tossed around in the cabin for three days, and the stress of noise of wind moaning and waves hissing (I was wearing earplugs most of the time), the boat was adopting well to its position. There was no damage.

But all the weather info available showed at least another three days of these conditions at our position, advanced. If the boat or myself had been damaged during a roll, or other calamity, chance of rescue was much diminished. Commercial ships cannot manuver or launch lifeboats around disabled small craft/life rafts at sea. The thought of a night time rescue was untenable also. The reason a commercial ship will not launch a lifeboat in more than 15 knots of wind is simple: the launch is OK, but they cannot retrieve their enclosed lifeboats safely in wind and wave using the hoisting gear available because of wind and wave motion. I have discussed this problem with several ship's masters.

There is no Right Answer. Just choices. Then one does the best one can.

Regards,

~skip
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-10-2008 at 07:02 AM.

Default Wildflower Immortal

Skip,
    My fondest memory of Wildflower is as you and she sailed out to meet me in Hanalei Bay. I will never forget how happy I was to see Wildflower, your smiling face and the waves and cheers of the others on board. Wildflower is immortal in my memory.

Thank you for having the courage to leave her and save your own life. I am sorry I will not be able to join you at the Alchera tree.

You are in my thoughts,
    Barbara

GOOD NEWS: In an incredible show of perseverance and solidarity, the entire fleet of 28 Figaro boats stopped racing yesterday, and went in search of fellow competitor Christophe Bouvet, who had fallen overboard, at night, while spinnakering in a 40 knot squall. His boat SIRMA had broached, and was found drifting by another competitor, who alerted the fleet by VHF.

That Christophe was found is an amazing, inspirational, and educational story, well worth the read at http://www.capistanbul.com/en/news.asp?id=41

Hi Skip and all,

I just read the full page article in Sailing in Full and By about you and Wildflower. Once again, thanks for expressing your fears, regrets and fond memories so honestly.

Rich Hillman
    Horizon
    Contessa 26
    SHTP wannabe