Thread: Matson Oakland Towing Logistics

Default Matson Oakland Towing Logistics

The boats that shipped from Lihue to Oakland have arrived. Any recommendations for a local towing company that can drag my ~9000 lb boat + trailer to a local boatyard? Any thoughts on best boatyards in the area for ease of transportation and off-loading?

Hi Tom -
    be careful with my trailer!
    unfortunately, I don't have a tow recommendation.
    I think you may be limited to Grand Marina for a travelift on Alameda, which will be closest to Matson.
    Also, something to be aware of; double check the dimensions for the boat and trailer when you pick it up and pay.
    These are supposed to be the length of the boat + the trailer WITHOUT the mast.
    Don found that they had erroneously charged him for Crinan's mast; he would up with a hefty refund.
    Point is, there is a possibility that the dims were recorded incorrectly in Nawiliwili by Matson.... double check!
    DH

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I recall there is an issue that you have to use a trucker that is DHS certified to work at the port. There is also a clearance issue on the height of the trailered boat, if it is too high you can’t go through Alameda because of the overhead stoplight wiring. I had My boat recommissioned at Svend’s, and the recommended a trucking service. My 34 ft, 10,000 lb boat cost $700 to go 5 miles. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    I recall there is an issue that you have to use a trucker that is DHS certified to work at the port. There is also a clearance issue on the height of the trailered boat, if it is too high you can’t go through Alameda because of the overhead stoplight wiring. I had My boat recommissioned at Svend’s, and the recommended a trucking service. My 34 ft, 10,000 lb boat cost $700 to go 5 miles. Good luck.
    I used to work for a satellite Manufactrurer in Palo Alto. We would truck satellites to thermal vacuum testing at Boeings chamber in Seattle. The box was too high for some of the bridges on I5. You should have seen the circuitous route the truckers had to take to make the trip. Sounds like boats from Oakland to Alameda.