Thread: Drakes Bay Starting Times

Default Drakes Bay Starting Times

So I printed the SSS "fleet assignments" which are a big confusing since we used to list starting times and even more so with a list of Starts as: Multi-1-2-3. It made a whole lot more sense when I downloaded the OYRA list that has both fleets combined.... if we are combining the Sailing Instruction maybe next time we both use the same starting sheets as well.

These were two long, but fun days, I am sure for everybody. And I appreciate the dedication of the race committee! Communication was great throughout, and they seemed very much on top of things. Thank you!

I found the start a breeze, at least for Drake's Bay I. Well run, and with the revised fleet assignments very clear. DB II was, well, slooow.

The finishing time for DB Race I was "tight", not only for my (slow) boat. I knew that in advance, last year we finished DB I 22:30, but this year we retired 5 miles (plus two tacks) before the finish line when it was absolutely clear that we would not make it. This was a bit frustrating. The effect of the earlier end time was made worse by having the slow and SH boats start last. I understand that it is a strain on the race committee and everybody else to sail until midnight, and then anchor (And of course my anchor would not hold on the first attempt, so I had to relocate and do it again). But a lot of boats did not make it this year, with sailors as experienced as it gets. So I would suggest to consider starting earlier, starting slow boats first, and/or go back to the midnight finish time.

Cheers

Jan

In light of recent posts, note the last-listed crew member aboard Eclipse.

Drakes Bay was fun both ways, even if we bailed Saturday. OYRA results were posted quickly. SSS results?

It was nice to hear Kristen and DaveH on the VHF. And it was cold.

In light of recent posts, note the last-listed crew member aboard Eclipse.
    Anna of Sundowner fame!