Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

Thread: Surprise!

Hi Bob, LD here. I'm not an expert by any means but there are a couple of things to consider. First, the age of the original wood. Older boats often have wood that's basically rain forest timber (even veneers) as opposed to plantation wood. I've seen newer teak that has very different color (and grain) than much older teak. Secondly, it's likely that the original wood has been sun bleached over the years. It's totally up to you whether refinishing the entire cabin and staining the old teak to match the new would be worth it (wouldn't be to me!). Like I said, not an expert so hopefully someone else has a more optimistic suggestion!

PS: Rob says you might try thinning the varnish by 50% for a lighter look. OR use a synthetic like Cetol or Semco in the right shade (maybe clear?). Since it's inside, you might even be able to get away with poly in clear to keep it as light as possible.

Hi LD. The aft face of the cabin trunk, where I'm installing the boxes, is teak-veneered plywood. The material I bought to make the boxes is solid teak - so you're right on with your suggestion. And you're also right that I'll not be refinishing the entire cabin to match the new boxes. I'm obsessing a bit over my new ride but not THAT much!

As Rob suggested, I'll thin the varnish when I re-apply the first coat. But I'll hit the dark areas of the new pieces with more bleach first since it seems to be working.

If I use a clear poly(ester?) coating, can I still use Epifanes' "rubbed-effect" varnish for the top coat? That's what the rest of the cabin has.

It's great to hear from you guys!
    Last edited by BobJ; Today at 05:36 PM.