Thread: Surprise!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

During his recent visit to E dock, Rich Baker asked why I hadn't updated this thread in so long. Truth be told, I was getting burned out on the projects. So I've been racing, daysailing and "cruising out" with Surprise! and not working on her. She's looking rather unkempt at the moment.

Greg is nearly done with the e-rudder project. I tested it on the way back from Napa and it works well - Philpott posted a video link below. We're finalizing the Pelagic actuator's attachment to the e-tiller and then the project will be finished. During the annual meeting, Brian mentioned there may be some SHTP seminars after the first of the year. How about another e-steering show-and-tell and race? Surprise! will be in better shape for it this time - my attempt at using a drogue in the last one was a dismal failure.

Oh, you want photos? Of course you do. Here is a recent attempt to make her go downwind better. Flying the A2 from the bow roller isn't cutting it. Adding a pole is more complicated but it shows promise:

Name:  A2 Pole 1.JPG
Views: 1003
Size:  120.7 KBName:  A2 Pole 2.JPG
Views: 944
Size:  78.2 KBName:  A2 Pole 3.JPG
Views: 765
Size:  105.7 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-05-2020 at 09:06 PM.