Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

During his recent visit to E dock, Rich Baker asked why I hadn't updated this thread in so long. Truth be told, I was getting burned out on the projects. So I've been racing, daysailing and "cruising out" with Surprise! and not working on her. She's looking rather unkempt at the moment.

Greg is nearly done with the e-rudder project. I tested it on the way back from Napa and it works well - Philpott posted a video link below. We're finalizing the Pelagic actuator's attachment to the e-tiller and then the project will be finished. During the annual meeting, Brian mentioned there may be some SHTP seminars after the first of the year. How about another e-steering show-and-tell and race? Surprise! will be in better shape for it this time - my attempt at using a drogue in the last one was a dismal failure.

Oh, you want photos? Of course you do. Here is a recent attempt to make her go downwind better. Flying the A2 from the bow roller isn't cutting it. Adding a pole is more complicated but it shows promise:

Name:  A2 Pole 1.JPG
Views: 988
Size:  120.7 KBName:  A2 Pole 2.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  78.2 KBName:  A2 Pole 3.JPG
Views: 752
Size:  105.7 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-05-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Sharp eyes may notice that in the middle photo above, the starboard (lazy) spinnaker sheet is not resting in the "gybulator" as it should be. That's because the sheet was under the boat when the photo was taken. I need more practice gybing the pole. It's been a few years!

I like to re-use boat parts when possible. The pole and large-bail Tylaska are from Ragtime!, the guys were made from her old mainsheet, and the two Sparcraft snap shackles are from Troubadour.

Troubadour is the boat I owned when I joined the SSS. She was a fine and competitive boat but a bit much for single-handing. She's been in Hawaii since I sold her in 2002, and is still in great shape.

Name:  Troubadour GGB.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  502.9 KB

Photo by Mariah's Eyes (I think)
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-05-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I tested it on the way back from Napa and it works well - Philpott posted a video . . .
    https://vimeo.com/477732055

Last edited by BobJ; 12-05-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post.

Burnt out on projects...oh yeah.

That's a great shot of Troubadour. I remember the red J-33.

E-rudder looks good! I bet it weights 15% of mine!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I was camped out in the lazarette yesterday afternoon, installing a rudder reference transducer. When I started to run its cable forward I discovered a couple of unconnected, two-conductor wires. Hmm - what were these for? I chased them, eventually reaching the cavern below and behind the main panel. I kept pulling and this came out - neither end was attached to anything!

Name:  Wire Nest.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  146.5 KB

You should weigh it.

Put it up on Danny's table, it won't last half an hour.

There are three pieces: About 17', 22' and 33' The longest piece has 26" of the white cover stripped off. It's all Ancor 2 Cond, 18 AWG.

Anybody need it? If not, I'll put it on Danny's give-away table and Philpott will grab it.

Too bad it wasn't marked on both ends, might have saved pulling new wire.

Dueling rudder references. The one on the left talks to the B&G, the other to the Simrad backup. New problem: The Simrad will want to hear from the emergency rudder too (when in use).

Mr. Hedgehog says I should just hook up the Pelagic computer to use with the e-rudder, since it doesn't require rudder reference input. Then that's THREE autopilots - where does it all end?

Name:  IMG_2309.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  614.9 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-09-2021 at 03:39 PM.