Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

Thanks, I responded on that thread

Thanks for all the replies. I've been off making my home office more productive for real work (vs. whatever this is!)

Ants: Those high autopilot numbers are mostly a stress test for the overall budget. The actual AP draw averages 2-3 amps, and I plan to drive more than the hours shown. In light, flatter conditions I can use the Simrad/Pelagic backup which draws even less. Balmar makes alternator brackets with tensioning screws - if they fit I'll go that route. I'll send you the Excel spreadsheet so you can try different ranges of battery use, but the main reason I bought the carbon foam AGMs was the much wider range of use than the typical 50-85%. Regarding if the generating system fails, see my subsequent comments. Thanks!

Lee: Rob T worked on my electrical system quite a bit and we've been discussing the alternatives. I had enough solar on Ragtime! that during her two SHTP's, I hardly needed to run the engine. The way I plan to use Surprise! the rest of the time, I'd rather not invest in a big solar setup that will mostly sit in storage after I get back. We're talking about a Honda generator that I can use off the boat. They have their drawbacks but it might be a better backup to the Yanmar than a solar setup.

Jackie: Surprise!'s hot water heater only uses shore-power. Off the dock, water is heated from the engine's heat-exchanger. I'll just need to plan ahead, and fill the hot tub after the engine's been running.

Gary: I can't use the powered winches during the SHTP (and I wouldn't need them offshore anyway), so they aren't in the budget. The solar shown is a small panel I already have (saved from Ragtime!) It fits nicely on top of the dodger and I'll take it along, but it's a small piece in the overall puzzle. As Dave wrote, the carbon foams can be drawn down significantly (lower than the 20% shown) and bounce back. But I don't plan to make a habit of doing that.

Brad: Yes, either lots more panel or something else (like the portable generator mentioned above). I think you're right about dialing in some transmission time on the VHF. I don't recall having anyone in VHF range in the previous races, so I just stuck a zero in there. What do you mean when you say the system lacks elasticity?

Thanks again all - keep 'em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I've been off making my home office more productive for real work (vs. whatever this is!)

Brad: Yes, either lots more panel or something else (like the portable generator mentioned above). I think you're right about dialing in some transmission time on the VHF. I don't recall having anyone in VHF range in the previous races, so I just stuck a zero in there. What do you mean when you say the system lacks elasticity?
    Sorry Bob,
    It was late, I didn't use all my words.

You are relying on the Yanmar for over 90% of your needs, while your consumption seems high; seven amps an hour on average? Really?
    To the VHF, I was thinking about passing ships, or competitors within 25 miles, or the start and finish.
    Do you really need instruments and small chart plotter on 24/7? Could the large plotter get away with 30 minutes every 8 hours? If you do plan on getting a generator, I highly recommend the Honda knock offs at half the price. Harbor freight has them under the name "Predator" for under $500. (Up in the hills, we are some of the last to have power restored by Pacific Gas & Explosion) I've had one for several years; it has a Yamaha engine, but I wouldn't want to wrestle it or fuel it anywhere, besides at anchor in the Delta.
    Solar has come down in price and up in efficiency, since you last crossed the puddle, and would be much lighter weight than a generator or the extra fuel for the Yanmar.
    I'd either buy them new and return at the end of the trip, or get used at Blue Pelican. When you get back, you could hang them up with the extra spars in the garage.
    Blue Pelican often has used wind generators too. Even more amps per buck, that would charge most of the time instead of just daylight.

Default Maybe you need this stuff

First of all, I don't know why Surprise! is in the shorthanded thread.

Also, here are some items you are welcome to borrow:

This from Max last year:

Name:  IMG-7792.JPG
Views: 1023
Size:  277.4 KB

and this from Greg Ashby, before he sold Nightmare:

Name:  IMG-7794.JPG
Views: 883
Size:  437.1 KB

Name:  IMG-7793.JPG
Views: 926
Size:  380.8 KB

Thanks Jackie! That's a good charge controller - I'll take you up on borrowing it. Defender's warehouse sale started today so I'll see what they have for solar panels (50 watts won't do much).

In the long run, I think Rob's portable generator idea is good - but man I hate having gasoline on my boat to run it.

To clarify, my generator idea was in response to Bpb's desire to not invest the time, effort and cost of installing a big solar system he'd use once and then store in his garage. Over years of using generators, LD and I have "perfected" the venting and fueling issues while underway. All that being said, I really think Bob should get four of these and three more Victron controllers.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HJQBVW/?tag=marinafb-20

Quote Originally Posted by robtryon View Post
    I really think Bob should get four of these and three more Victron controllers.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HJQBVW/?tag=marinafb-20
    Sure! Why not? It's only money.

Or this https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-w...saArJcEALw_wcB

Or this https://www.grainger.com/product/454...g!591772622352!

Either one would need a couple hundred dollars in welding and plumbing, to be safer offshore. I think that for a 12 to 14 day passage one tank of gas might be enough.

Buy this! Buy this! Puleeze, Bob!

Name:  hot tub for yacht.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  214.7 KB

SO much fun spending other peoples' money.

Sorry, that one is sold.

Rob and LaDonna renamed it Princess Sparkle Unicorn (Sparkle for short). Okay, maybe it wasn't that particular yacht but a power boat purchase and the name is TRUE.

It's just as well. Against my better judgement I looked at my Vanguard account. "Don't look" they said. But I looked.

One of Rob's links includes a video of a guy running those little generators. Noise, smoke, more noise. And they weigh about 50 lbs. I don't think that's what I want.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-20-2020 at 10:39 PM.