Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

You're first after me!

When Surprise! was built in 1998, some bad gelcoat was making the rounds. It tended to go on too thick and would later result in areas with nicks, cracks and sags. Several of the Alerions and some J Boats (also built by TPI) had the problem. We couldn't just fill and paint over those areas - the cure required grinding them down and adding a layer of fiberglass. Those areas have now been re-sanded and Cole (formerly of Elkhorn Composites) is longboarding the whole thing. It's gonna be booteeful but it's taking time.

This is the longest I've ever gone without being able to get on my boat. I even did a bunch of tax work today to keep my mind off of it. Meanwhile we missed out on two more races - OYRA Duxship yesterday and the YRA's North-South DH race today.

Maybe another week?

Poor baby:

Name:  Topsides Repair.JPG
Views: 804
Size:  72.2 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-30-2021 at 12:07 AM.

Julio is continuing to work on Surprise! this weekend. By now the cove and boot stripes are probably done. I'm completely happy with the color, which was selected simply by looking at Ruben's boat and saying "Yep, that's it!" Of course Greg's e-rudder bracket had to be repainted to match. They're narrowing the boot stripe since it was quite wide, especially at the bow. I also changed the transom lettering a bit - that and the fresh bottom will be done next week. We hope to splash on June 7th.

Julio is a perfectionist and takes his work seriously. After the new paint went on, Cree told Julio he had inspected the topsides and there was something wrong. The owner would not be happy. Julio was worried. "There's an old man's reflection in the paint!"

Name:  New Topsides 3.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  2.07 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-30-2021 at 10:41 AM.

I was at the BMC today to do some simple fixits to the Wildcat, and lo and behold, Surprise! is getting her superfast sprayed-on bottom.

Name:  surprise!-spraybottom.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  133.2 KB
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I think Julio will be glad to see Surprise! leave the yard. It's been a long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I think Julio will be glad to see Surprise! leave the yard. It's been a long haul.
    She looks wonderful! What started as a blue yawl and is now an oyster shell white sloop. Beware the Republican transitional bias.

You'll have to explain that last bit to me - Google didn't help. Is it like buyer's remorse?

I've done the flag blue boat thing for over 18 years - the fenders, fender covers, sailing gear, lifejackets, even the liferaft and inflatable boat covers are dark blue. As my dock mates can tell you, it became almost an obsession. And then one day I was looking at my desktop background (and who doesn't have their boat as their desktop background?) and it hit me - I'M TIRED OF FLAG BLUE!

The second reason is it gets hot inside. You could lay your hand on the hull and feel it - especially when Rags was down in the "tropics" of Hawaii.

The third reason is the most practical. The paint was the original Awlgrip and it was in poor shape and getting worse. A large area of the starboard bow was dull and a different color, even after we buffed it out; there were large dull patches where the fenders had rubbed on the paint on the side-tie in Santa Cruz, and then there were all the slits and tiny gouges through the paint from the bad gelcoat. As Jackie might say, it was not up to Bob boat standards.

Lastly, the rapidly-growing fleet of Alerion 28s at RYC is made up mostly of flag blue hulls. It was time to step out from the crowd.

I think she's looking simply divine! The "before:"

Name:  Stbd Bow.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  77.6 KB Name:  Midships.JPG
Views: 869
Size:  67.8 KB Name:  Thru Primer.JPG
Views: 593
Size:  38.9 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-02-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    ... who doesn't have their boat as their desktop background?
    Here's my desktop background. Where is it? It's my secret ;-) anyone else? Let's clog up this thread until Bob's boat is back in the water.

Name:  Secret.JPG
Views: 574
Size:  143.9 KB

Before Philpott clogs up the thread too much, here's a teaser of the "after." Still not quite done:

Name:  Port Bow.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  2.78 MB

Name:  Stbd Beam.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  2.58 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-01-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Wow!
    Surprise! Look terrific!

With reference to the very first post in this thread, this time Philpott didn't make me do it.

They arrive next Monday.

Last edited by BobJ; 06-02-2021 at 08:40 AM.